Lookin for a source for a QUALITY Fuel Sending Unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lookin for a source for a QUALITY Fuel Sending Unit

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
mud4me

Lookin for a source for a QUALITY Fuel Sending Unit

I'm getting frustrated.

The after market sending units for the CJ gas tanks ARE JUNK and only last 18 to 24 months. (I think I may have bought the last 2 from 4wd Hardware)

The problem is the white plastic float is made of the thinnest plastic ever. So after a SHORT period of time they develop a pinhole and fill with fuel, thus they will no longer float accordingly, which in turn will read that the tank is low on fuel.

So.....with all that said.....might anyone know of a source for a GOOD QUALITY sending unit that'll last longer than 18 months????

Thanks

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud4me View Post
I'm getting frustrated.

The after market sending units for the CJ gas tanks ARE JUNK and only last 18 to 24 months. (I think I may have bought the last 2 from 4wd Hardware)

The problem is the white plastic float is made of the thinnest plastic ever. So after a SHORT period of time they develop a pinhole and fill with fuel, thus they will no longer float accordingly, which in turn will read that the tank is low on fuel.

So.....with all that said.....might anyone know of a source for a GOOD QUALITY sending unit that'll last longer than 18 months????

Thanks
I am not sure of a exact answer for you. But in the past I remember reading something about swaping out the float for a metal one. Now I cant really remember where I read that, but someone should hopefully chime in with a remedy!
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, someone posted a number for a brass float for the sending unit. you will have to do a search.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
daltonw
1981 CJ7 

i heard that too. someone swapped in one from a ford sending unit. it was metal or something. I got one from oreillys and it lasted maybe a whole week.
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Replace the plastic float on the sending unit with a Ford brass float. Here's the part number: COAZ-9202-B.

Your local Ford stealership should have it for about 5 or 6 bucks.

I would also steer away from Omix or Crown sending units.

MTS brand sending units is an option.

It has been awhile, so I'd call them (800-522-1622) and make sure they still make them here in the U.S.

They cost a few bucks more than Omix/Crown, but seem to be worth it so far....

Last edited by PhatBasturd; 01-08-2010 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: mo stuff
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
mud4me

perfect!

I'll try the ford brass float route

thanks!
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

The brass float should be the same as one for a '94 F150. I had to replace one on a F150 I had 10 yaers ago, and the local parts store had them.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.