Longblock Needed for Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Longblock Needed for Rebuild

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-07-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
Aphelion79

Longblock Needed for Rebuild

Well instead of trying to patch together my current engine... I figure it would be better just to get a new longblock and throw the accessories on...

4 Cyl 2.5 L 151 CID (what does CID stand for anyway?)
------------------
Or would it be better to get new rings and a valve job?

What do you guys recommend?

It smokes sometimes: sometimes really bad, sometimes not at all... what would I look for to judge whether the engine needs a complete overhaul (getting a new longblock) or just a LOT of maintenence work? You guys know these engines better than me so please give some ideas and request any information!

Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
MudLover

CID = Cubic Inches Displaced (I think)

It's a lot easier to just get a new longblock and put the accessories on it than it is to go for a rebuild. If you have the money for one, just go with the longblock. However, if you really wanna go for a rebuild.... go for it.

Why not go for a V8 conversion or something other than the little 4-banger?

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Smoking can be anything from a blown motor to a malfunctioning choke. First, what color is the smoke? White is water, blue is oil,and black is fuel. When does it smoke? When it is cold? Under load? On start up? My suggestion is to go to a reputable shop and have it checked out before spending 800$ and a lot of time on an engine swap. You might want to invest in a Chiltons manual, they have troubleshooting charts that can help.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Smoking can be anything from a blown motor to a malfunctioning choke. First, what color is the smoke? White is water, blue is oil,and black is fuel. When does it smoke? When it is cold? Under load? On start up? My suggestion is to go to a reputable shop and have it checked out before spending 800$ and a lot of time on an engine swap. You might want to invest in a Chiltons manual, they have troubleshooting charts that can help.

Oh the smoking is just icing on the cake... im getting a new engine anyway, its oil burning... oh well... New longblock

Only problem is... what in the HECK is an "Air Injector Reactor System"!??!?!?!

No one knows!! lol... and its a difference between me paying 800 or 1280 bucks for a longblock... !

Anyone have any ideas?
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.