Lockers: Front or rear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lockers: Front or rear?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-06-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
hollywood

Lockers: Front or rear?

If you are running only one locker, which end of your rig is it in? Or, if you could only have ONE, where would you put it? I ask because I'll be changing ring and pinions soon and I'm wondering if throwing a locker in the front would be a good idea. (I'm thinking about a rear swap in the future and I don't want to throw a lot of money at the model 20) Thanks -

hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2002, 01:21 AM   #2
cj7traildriver

thats a question many people have different views on, my view is locker in the rear if only one locker but that's me. A locker in the front can cause some nasty affects while turning ,I dont know what you have for a vehicle be it CJ,YJ,TJ etc, anyways if you dont have locking hubs I wouldn't put a locker in the front at all unless adding locking hubs, so you can unlock and free spin the wheels or you will have really bad maner steering on roads.Unless you install a locker that can be locked or free like a ARB air locker, or the OX Tracs locker.They are spendy, think around 600 or so for either of them. Im in most cases simple is better, so I like detroits not much to go wrong the ARB alot of things can go wrong, the Ox Tracs lockers look cool but in the front the cable sticks out the front as someone pointed out to me so could take a hit. Also another thing to concider is if your going forward weight shift rearward so front wheels dont get as much traction as rear in most cases, some yes front has more, this is where people make there decision etc.
Unread 06-07-2002, 12:34 PM   #3
nuzzy

I'm a strong advocate for putting the first locker in the rear. If you don't want to throw a lot of money into the 20, just go with a cheaper locker for now that will get the job done. Front lockers do make turning much harder since the tires fight each other so much. Also, if the rear wheels aren't helping with traction (i.e. one is in the air) this will place a lot of stress onto the weaker front axels. Just my opinion though.
Unread 06-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
MR.CJ-7

My single locker is in the front of my CJ. I have had it there many years without a single problem. I have manual hubs so I can disconnect it on the street and not see any steering probs. When in 4x4, even when on solid slickrock I have never seen a steering problem(possibly due to short wheelbase). I don't know if I would want a locker in the front of my truck(99superduty) as it has a hard enough time turning in 4x4 on a solid dirt road with an open diff. As far as front VS. rear you may get better traction with it in the rear. I have seen many times when climbing very steep inclines when little weight is on the fronts thus you don't get much traction.

Overall, I am very happy with the front locker and it does all I need it to do offroad.
Unread 06-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #5
hollywood

Thanks for the opinions. Mr CJ, its good to know that you haven't had any problems with the lockright, since that is what I would most likely run. Its all gonna' come down to how much money I can scrape up - I just figured if I was going to have the axles apart anyway, now would be the time. I'll keep ya posted.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.