lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > lockers

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #1
jeepster18_88

lockers

I recently bought an '85 cj7 with 258 and T5 tranny. What are some cheap tricks to better power from this? Also, front hubs won't disengage. This is my first experience with manual locking hubs. Is there a trick to disengaging them? How can I fix this and how will it affect it if I don't? Thanks for the help.

Unread 01-17-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
RickCJ7

You just turn the hub to unlock it. If that doesn't work try taking them apart and cleaning them. A cam, 4 barrel intake and 390 cfm Holley will make it run almost as good as a 304. But a 360 would be a lot faster and cost about the same.
Unread 01-17-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
rivertrout10

Jeepster - "cheap" is a relative term - what is cheap? Not knowing your definition I will make some broad suggestions:

1 - Depending on the type of carb (assuming you have a carb)you have you may want to do an upgrade here. The carter (stock) is junk - look at Weber ($350ish) if you want to stay with a carb or Holley Projection ($500ish).

2 - Exhaust - if you still have the stock manifold suggest a hedder - depending on type you can spend from $200ish to $500ish. Suggest a dual outlet hedder vice a single outlet hedder. Borla or flowmaster mufflers are good ones.

3 - Depending on your state laws (not sure about TX emissions requirements) you may be able to remove some of the smog stuff - catalytic converter, etc.

4 - K&N air filters are touted as the cats meow in regard to air filters - I dont have one on my Jeep but do in my BMW - cant really say there is the advertised difference - I do know people who swear by them however.

Good luck,
Derek

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.