Lockers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lockers?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Lockers?

Hey y'all! I am about to get my first jeep. A 1980 cj7. The rear end is out and I need to get it fixed. I want to do some moderate things to it so I can drive it on the road and trailer it with the family to some moderate trails. I am thinking about a locker in the rear end since I have to get it rebuilt do I need a locker to traverse moderate trails or can I get by without one.
Thanks

Garret.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Many have done amazing things with an open diff. It all depends on what kind of trails they are, too. Rocky trails, mud, etc, you may want them. Wooded trails with tight turns, maybe not.

Get a selectable locker, best of both worlds!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Transorange
1979 CJ7 

If you have an AMC20 I would just go with some 1-piece axle shafts and a lunchbox locker... (lockright or aussielocker)
Should be all you need for simple trails. Oh and maybe welding the axle-tubes as they tend to rotate if the stock weld-spots crack.
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Thanks! I don't know for sure what kind of trails yet but prolly a combination of all. Nothing extreme. I am on a budget so a simple solution will be best but I dont want to sacrifice drivability. I was leaning towards some sort of locker just didn't want to spend a ton of money. Thanks again.

Unread 09-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, it also depends on where you live and how much you'll be driving it. Personally, I drive mine as my DD, year-round, so I don't want a locker or even an L/S in the rear of mine, knowing how easy a short wheel base vehicle like a CJ can just decide to spin out on ice. This is why I suggest a selectable locker. Normal driving you can have open axles, but if you see yourself getting into a situation, you can flip that switch and be locked in and ready to go.

And yes, I highly recommend the 1-piece axles for anything other than an open diff..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

the aussie locker is a pretty good locker, simple to install and hard to destroy. I have two in mine. bought them for $258 each
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Before you get a lunchbox locker you should disassemble the old carrier and make sure it's still good. When I took mine apart there was too much wear on one of the side gears, and you can't get a new open carrier (at least I couldn't find one when I was looking, and I called everyone.) Besides, a Detroit locker was about the same price as an Aussie Locker + a new carrier would have cost. Due to Aussie Locker's return policy, it was easier to sell it on eBay than to return it.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Just be sure to plan on one piece axles if you are going to run a locker. Its not worth tearing apart the rear end and installing new parts just to snap an axle on your first trip out.

Personally I am running lunch box lockers front and rear and I am on the street more than I like to admit. I don't notice much of a drivability issue at all, I don't drive my Jeep in the winter however which would make the decision to go selectable a no brainer.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Awesome info! Thanks. I live in north Florida so I will be dealing with sand, mud and clay and the occasional rock. I will be driving it on the street prolly more than on the trails but a capable jeep on the trails is what I am looking for. So, it looks like one piece axles and aussies or lunchboxes for me. Thanks again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.