Locker question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Locker question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
ideal_trucks
1978 CJ5 

Locker question

I'm looking at getting a powertrax no-slip locker for my cj5. I was wondering if anyone with a cj5 has had any experience with them. How does it handle on the road witih the very short wheelbase? I do quite a bit of cruising on the road along with my off-roading and don't want something thats going to make it dangerous, but the "sales pitch" says it is very streetable.

ideal_trucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

I've got a Detroit Softlocker in the back of mine, so they have similar operation characteristics. There was a night and day difference going from open to an auto locker in the rear. The short wheelbase of the CJ-5 amplifies it that much more.

In a straight line you don't know it's there but when you corner you need to make a decision....keep at a constant speed, accelerate through the corner or coast through and get on the gas when you straighten out. If you get on or off the gas in a corner the locker will lock/unlock and cause the back end to shimmy. This can range from barely noticeable to full on heart attack inducing depending on severity of the corner and road speed. As long as you pay attention, it's not too bad though. You just need to learn to drive all over again, :-).

Winter is another story all together. As soon as the roads get packed snow and ice I have to put it in 4wd or I just spin out around almost every corner no matter how slow I'm going. Freeway travelling is almost out of the question. Nothing quite like your back end trying to come around at 55 mph on the ice. The traction off-road in the deep snow is simply amazing though.

If you actually take the time to get used to it they are not too bad. I've been driving my Jeep almost daily since the weather got nice and barely notice it anymore. The Jeep is seeing less and less time driving around town though. If you have the money a selectable locker really is the way to go. You get the on road handling of an open diff and the performance of a full locker when you need it. If you are going to do a lot of street driving I would really consider one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
RubyCJ
1986 CJ7 

Just installed the no-slip locker in my CJ7. Had a Detroit EZ locker in the past. The no-slip is very quiet and handles much better.
Don't know why but it is good cornering also.
Parts look the same except for some added springs.
Not sure about winter driving yet.
RubyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

I've had the No-slip for at least 6 years and love it. Mine is not a DD but I do drive it around on nice days. At first it will give you a sense of somethings wrong but you will not notice it after awhile. You will get some tire chirp once in awhile, but you will learn to drive with it in a short time. I also put one in the front and like it just as much! As KrazyGimp said, it will scare the hell out of you in the snow or ice, ALWAYS use 4WD in the slippery stuff!
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
ideal_trucks
1978 CJ5 

Well, from my research I think the no-slip is the way to go. One more question though, I've heard that the AMC 20 is not as strong as some other differentials. Will installing this locker increase my chances of breaking something? I don't do any crazy off-roading. no lift, 31" tires. Just some simple hills, mud, etc. On road in nice days and in the snow to get to work.
Also, from some of you that have it installed, does it increase the slack in the driveline?
ideal_trucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal_trucks View Post
Well, from my research I think the no-slip is the way to go. One more question though, I've heard that the AMC 20 is not as strong as some other differentials. Will installing this locker increase my chances of breaking something? I don't do any crazy off-roading. no lift, 31" tires. Just some simple hills, mud, etc. On road in nice days and in the snow to get to work.
Also, from some of you that have it installed, does it increase the slack in the driveline?
from what i understand with simple upgrades the amc 20 is as strong as say a dana 44. basically one piece axle shafts, and get the tubes welded and trussed. i did do the one piece axles i think from crown.

i don't think you really have much to worry about though.
83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.