Locker for AMC 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Locker for AMC 20

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Locker for AMC 20

Hey,

Thinking about visiting a few local junkyards for a locker. I need it for my AMC 20. What vehicles have or come with an AMC 20, and with a locker? What should I look for?

Thanks guys.

Red Jeep
1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)
BigYellaJeep
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
flexncj7
1985 CJ7 

The AMC 20 was never offered with a factory locker.
The AMC 20 came in CJs, and FSJs
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexncj7
The AMC 20 was never offered with a factory locker.
The AMC 20 came in CJs, and FSJs
Ah, ok. Well, I want to build up my AMC 20 instead of replace it with a D44 or whatever.

I've got one piece axles already and am looking for a locker of some sort. What kind will go in there, and where can I find one?
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
knifeboy2

I had a lockright for a long time and it worked great. Plus it's real easy to install. Do a web search and look in catalogs for companies like 4 Wheel Drive Hardware and Quadratec....they'll all have multiple options to choose from.
Unread 01-20-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Saw a few on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...30147526QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aussi...30240655QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-m...31603104QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-2...31732129QQrdZ1

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

What size gears and tires do you have and are you planning a gear change?
You may consider a Detroit Locker instead of a lunch box style. Or even an ARB locker. You're looking at 450 plus install for the DT and around 1000 plus install for the ARB (including compressor).
Even though I haven't heard or read about a lunch box locker breaking, the full carrier type is stronger and more dependable.
The lunch box sytle does wear faster.
I've read a few articiles on other forums about guys that are on their second or third lunch box lunch just from wearing out.

In all fairness I would have to say that you should let your pocket dictate what you can afford. All these lockers work great. It will all depend on how you drive your rig as to how they will perform.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgates
What size gears and tires do you have and are you planning a gear change?
You may consider a Detroit Locker instead of a lunch box style. Or even an ARB locker. You're looking at 450 plus install for the DT and around 1000 plus install for the ARB (including compressor).
Even though I haven't heard or read about a lunch box locker breaking, the full carrier type is stronger and more dependable.
The lunch box sytle does wear faster.
I've read a few articiles on other forums about guys that are on their second or third lunch box lunch just from wearing out.

In all fairness I would have to say that you should let your pocket dictate what you can afford. All these lockers work great. It will all depend on how you drive your rig as to how they will perform.
Thanks BESRK for the links.

Dawgates: I've got the stock gears right now, with 35" tires. The pocket is about $300 (at most) deep...and this isn't something I'll be getting right away since I'm currently poor. And unless I HAVE to have it installed, I'm planning on installing myself. I just need something that will get both wheels spinning, easy(ish) to install, and relatively cheap.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 01-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep
Dawgates: I've got the stock gears right now, with 35" tires. The pocket is about $300 (at most) deep...and this isn't something I'll be getting right away since I'm currently poor. And unless I HAVE to have it installed, I'm planning on installing myself. I just need something that will get both wheels spinning, easy(ish) to install, and relatively cheap.
Check My Link

Basically they convinced me that installing a full locker (like the ARB or one of the Detroits) is a heck of a lot more involved/complicated than we think
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #9
Xrossed

I have an AMC 20, and I have a 1 piece Moser axle with a Powertrax Lockright Locker... Great combo.

Although I'm unsure that you can install it yourself...
I say this only because you posed the question "where can I find a AMC 20 with a locker" this is pretty common knowledge that they dont come with them = littel knowledge about Jeep axles= no ability to installl a lockright....

I'm not saying this to be a jerk... Just have someone install this for you... if you start taking apart your gearing I guarantee you'll be swearig your *** off trying to put it all together if your not the mechanical type.

Short money, have someone install it for you if you so choose.
Xrossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
jooper84

Get one of these:
http://www.offroadlockers.com/

Then have a 4x4 shop in your area drop it in for you. My local shop will put in an Aussie for right around $200. That means the entire package runs less than $500.

I've heard and read nothing but good things about the Aussie locker and it's priced right and seems to be a good light to medium duty solution. Since I'm not taking my CJ and banging around big rocks or climbing walls, it'll fit my needs fine.

Depending on what type of wheeling you do, it's a logical time to throw in 1 piece axels and different gears too. I'm going to stay stock until I decide to go bigger on tires though.
jooper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Stock gears and 35's? You need to re-gear too and the time to do it is when you're doing the locker so that you only have to crack the pumpkin open once. You can do the job yourself, but you'll want to have an experienced person working with you to guide you (full-time lockers aren't as complicated as ARB's for a first-timer) and you'll need some special tools that will cost you as much as the locker unless you know someone you can borrow them from. Honestly, if you didn't have the time to properly check your driveshaft and u-joint angles to diagnose your driveshaft problems, whereare you going to get the time to do this job? This could easily be a full day for a first-timer. Like Xrossed, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to give you a dose of reality. BTW: you should also weld your tubes and consider a truss to help keep that 20 alive with 35's and a locker.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrossed
I have an AMC 20, and I have a 1 piece Moser axle with a Powertrax Lockright Locker... Great combo.

Although I'm unsure that you can install it yourself...
I say this only because you posed the question "where can I find a AMC 20 with a locker" this is pretty common knowledge that they dont come with them = littel knowledge about Jeep axles= no ability to installl a lockright....

I'm not saying this to be a jerk... Just have someone install this for you... if you start taking apart your gearing I guarantee you'll be swearig your *** off trying to put it all together if your not the mechanical type.

Short money, have someone install it for you if you so choose.
Everything that has been done to my Jeep has been done by me with the help of my dad. I've learned tons from working on it personally and having to figure out things myself. The Haynes manual also helped a good bit. No ability to install a lockright? "no need to be a jerk" but you are wrong. So I don't know what other vehicles come with lockers or that have AMC 20s!? Sue me.

Another thing: I don't have money to have someone install stuff. That's why my Jeep has been built relatively cheap (monetarily speaking). I AM the mechanical type, but don't feel the need to have to prove it to you guys. I realize you want to help, and all of you have, and I thank you.

Truthfully, I'M unsure I can install anything by myself. That's why I have my dad (on his occasional visits from Honduras) or the local 4x4 shop that I am friends with. They'd help me install or do whatever for free.

Jeepskate: I realize the necessity and wiseness for re-gearing while I have it open already, but don't have the money to do both. Should I just save up and wait? Possibly. I agreed with you here:
Quote:
"You can do the job yourself, but you'll want to have an experienced person working with you to guide you (full-time lockers aren't as complicated as ARB's for a first-timer) and you'll need some special tools that will cost you as much as the locker unless you know someone you can borrow them from."
And you have a good point here:
Quote:
Honestly, if you didn't have the time to properly check your driveshaft and u-joint angles to diagnose your driveshaft problems, whereare you going to get the time to do this job? This could easily be a full day for a first-timer.
Even if you meant ^that^ negatively, I agree that with short time, I can't do much. Well, that's why I'm asking all of this WAY before I take action. I won't be doing anything until mid-late Februrary when Wrestling Season is over. And it might take me 2, possibly 3 days to do it. Does that bother me? Nah. I might do this a lot, doesn't bother me either. This Jeep has been a project for me and I don't mind learning and sweating and cursing over it. But that's why I come here. To get valuable knowledge from respectfull people and so that I don't re-invent a wheel or make the same mistakes.

BTW: Could you show/draw me a diagram of what you mean with the truss and welding? It's held up so far, but of course I've had opened diffs so probably not as much stress.

Jooper84: Looks good, definately look into it.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also, make sure if you are going with a Lockright that you don't have factory limited slip. I found out during the install that it won't work.

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep
Jeepskate: I realize the necessity and wiseness for re-gearing while I have it open already, but don't have the money to do both. Should I just save up and wait? Possibly.
I would wait. Figure out what gears you currently have, figure out which locker you want, and start saving. There are some good deals to be had out there...check the vendors forum (there's one for axles, tires, gears or something like that) on Pirate4x4.com. I've gotten some excellent prices & service from PORC (Performance Off Road Center) on my gears, lockers and install kits. I've also gotten some good deals off Ebay and wouldn't rule out a complete axle swap. I know a guy who picked up a set of 20/30 widetracks that were already geared, locked, etc for under $600 IIRC (may have even been under $500) from someone who was upgrading and wanted them out of the way. I've run across a few deals like that myself on a few items...I bought a 258/999/300 combo all in good shape for $100...the engine is in my CJ-7 now, the trans will be donating it's inards and output to the trans for my Scrambler, and I gave the 300 to a buddy who picked up the stuff for me near Detroit and delivered it to me. I just got the front axle out of the same Jeep off Ebay for $350 around Thanksgiving...already had a True-trac and 4.10's in it to match the regear I did on the rear and had new stainless steel dust shields...all I had to do was buy hubs for it,so I sold the gears & Truetrac that I had bought already for close to what I paid for them.

Quote:
Even if you meant ^that^ negatively, I agree that with short time, I can't do much. Well, that's why I'm asking all of this WAY before I take action. I won't be doing anything until mid-late Februrary when Wrestling Season is over. And it might take me 2, possibly 3 days to do it. Does that bother me? Nah. I might do this a lot, doesn't bother me either. This Jeep has been a project for me and I don't mind learning and sweating and cursing over it. But that's why I come here. To get valuable knowledge from respectfull people and so that I don't re-invent a wheel or make the same mistakes.
Didn't mean it negatively at all, though it was tinged with a bit of my usual sarcasm. Just wanted to make it clear that this wasn't something you were going to walk out to the garage and tackle in a couple of hours with a Craftsman tool set. You're going to need at a minimum a shop press, bearing separator, and dial inidcator with magnetic stand. An extra set of bearings to hone out and use as setup bearings would be ideal as you'll be popping the carrier in & out to change shims until you get it setup right. Sounds like you've got a shop that can help you out with the whole deal, so you should be in good shape.

Quote:
BTW: Could you show/draw me a diagram of what you mean with the truss and welding? It's held up so far, but of course I've had opened diffs so probably not as much stress.
A bit of overkill for what you need, but this is a truss in progress on the AMC 20 the guy I mentioned above bought. It's up at the shop where my Scrambler is getting it's tube work done. Still a work in progress, it's inspired by M.O.O's over the axle removable truss (they went out of business late last year) with some brainstorming between myself and the guy (Anders at www.xtrmds.com ) who's building it (we'll be doing one for the Dana 60 in my Scrambler). It's going on an SOA rig, so it's being built to incorporate a bam-bar anti-wrap device. The welding consists of some rosette welds to keep the axle tubes from spinning in the pumpkin.

jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Join a local Jeep Club. Become an active member. Hang out with 'em for awhile and I'm sure you can get someone to help you install a locker. I've even done a couple full carrier installs for some of the guys in our club. They just keep me supplied in beer.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.