Lock-rite Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lock-rite Locker

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

Lock-rite Locker

Does anyone know were I can purchase one of these? I want to install it into my Dana 30 front. Also, could someone with mechainical knowledge do this install or should I have it professionally done?

Thanks,

my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
flashawk
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUANEHEIN View Post
Does anyone know were I can purchase one of these? I want to install it into my Dana 30 front. Also, could someone with mechainical knowledge do this install or should I have it professionally done?

Thanks,
Ebay has them and most parts sites on the net. I understand that if you can do a brake job, you should be able to handle installing one of these.
flashawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

4wd.com quadratec.com......
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Keep track of your side shims on the carrier, you will have to put the shims back EXACTLY where they came from.

Other than keeping track of the shims, it's a snap.

If I were you, I'd get a set of housing/axle seals and pop them in while the carrier was out. Yours are probably factory and that makes them pretty old and leaky.

I'd also look into changing the pinion seal if it's leaking.
Same story there, make sure your shims between the pinion gear teeth and housing stay in the correct order, otherwise it's just a 'R&R', Remove and Replace.

If you have the carrier out, the housing is hollow, a good time to thread the axle vent hole and use a screw in vent nipple instead of that push in 'O' ring thing the factory used that leaks all the time.

Don't over-think this, this is actually as easy as changing wheel bearings...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I got mine from DC 4x4 on here for a tad over 2 bills...

quick jist of install...

remove tie rod
remove front cover,axles about 4'', carrier
remove ring gear
install locker

reinstall in opposite order..Only you know your limitations..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I just put mine in last weekend finally. I got the Aussie locker. Supposedly it's the same as the Lock-right but it uses stronger steel. I've also heard the Aussie is stronger and quieter. I can't even hear mine making noises, but I also used some purty expensive gear oil up there. $250 shipped and it's been the best upgrade to my CJ so far. That thing will really pull her through the soupy stuff.
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

Guys thanks for the info, I forgot to mention I know have LSD in front. So from what I am hearing I need an open carrier first. Maybe easier to just get a detroit, ox or arb locker, than to mess around. If I were to change from the LSD to a locker, could I do it? Or should I have it done profressionally?
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crowley View Post
remove tie rod
i had to replace my axle seals last summer which calls for almost the exact same procedure as this and you can get the ring gear past the tie rod without disconnecting it. it's tight, but it's doable. now i'm looking to do this. wish i knew then haha. oh well.

not trying to jack the thread, but aussie vs lock right? i know that they're the same thing. i'm thinking about getting which ever i can find cheaper. thoughts?
Unread 02-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Jeepcreep927
1985 CJ7 

You will have to switch to an open carrier anyway, which will have to be set up properly again, so maybe a few hundred more on a Detroit would make sense. Especially if your not going to set up the r&p yourself. Just FYI I have a Lock Rite and it works great for my purposes, plus it was cheap(er) and easy. Good luck.
Jeepcreep927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

aussie and lock right are both lunch box lockers though. you don't need to re-shim it.
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
If you have the carrier out, the housing is hollow, a good time to thread the axle vent hole and use a screw in vent nipple instead of that push in 'O' ring thing the factory used that leaks all the time.
so, i'm familiar with the o ring thing you mention. what's the diameter/tpi that you would recommend for that procedure and also, what hardware would you suggest i screw into the newly tapped hole?
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

the aussie and lock right are almost identicle..The aussie includes a hardened cross shft that may or may not be included with the lockright..Cheeper price usaully does not include it..

Reason being is that some but not all stock crss shafts are hardened..Lock right wants you to test the stocker and replace with a hardened one if its not..In there warranty they reserve the right to dispute and refuse all claims if not used with a hardened C.S..They say that there warranty guys can tell if a non hardened C.S is not used by the where on the inside of the drivers..There availible seperately from lockright for about 20 bucks..

A buddy of mine put one in the same time as I did my lockright..Really no difference to me or him..I have only had one time a front tire didnt lock in,but I think that was a hub issue though..The axle was locked in at the diff but the tire wasnt spinning while trying to turn them in mud..

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #13
flashawk
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crowley View Post
the aussie and lock right are almost identicle..The aussie includes a hardened cross shft that may or may not be included with the lockright..Cheeper price usaully does not include it..
So you're saying the Aussie Lockers come with the hardened cross shaft in every kit? I'm getting ready to buy a locker and those were my two choices (it's either a locker or front seats).
1979 CJ5 360 V8 w/Holley 470 Truck Avenger, HEI Ignition, Livewires w/E3 Sparkplugs, Hedman Hedders, Flowmasters, DANA 30 w/Auzzie Locker, AMC 20 limited slip "N" 3:54's, Tuff Country 2.5" lift, Rancho RS5118, Rubicon Express Quick Disconnects, Currie 1/2" lift Heavy Duty Greasable Shackles, DANA 20, T150, Mile Marker PE8000 w/MiFi Controll Box, Bestop Super Top, Warn 6 bolt Premiums, 31x10.50x15
flashawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

not 100%,so make sure before you order..some distributors dont include it if packaged seperately..like richmond..

Unread 02-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i have heard that aussies were made of "stronger metal" else where. good to know what is stronger and how it's made stronger. funny enough, i found an aussie cheaper than i can a lock right. northridge4x4.com has the aussie for 249 and the lock right for 279. prolly go with the aussie.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.