lock-right lockers in the Snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > lock-right lockers in the Snow?

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-27-2003, 04:37 PM   #1
NJCJ7

lock-right lockers in the Snow?

I keep hearing things like "lockers are tricky in snow" or "take getting used to in snow". I can adapt, so i am not too worried, as long as the bottom line is still improved traction in the white stuff... is it? Any general commentary on lockers like lock-right, aussie lockers, detroit ez etc in the snow is appreciated....

Unread 10-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
rustyCJ

this is pretty simple if you think about it. without lockers one tire stays relatively still while the other spins. that one "dragging" tire helps keep the rear from sliding sideways. with a locker both tires spin so there is no "dragging" tire to hold the rear still so it will slide sideways.

ever seen a long burnout tire mark that is only one tire(no posi/locker), notice how its pretty straight. ever seen a long burnout tire mark that is two tires(posi/locker), notice how it usually zigzags sideways?
Unread 10-27-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
NJCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyCJ
this is pretty simple if you think about it. without lockers one tire stays relatively still while the other spins. that one "dragging" tire helps keep the rear from sliding sideways. with a locker both tires spin so there is no "dragging" tire to hold the rear still so it will slide sideways.

ever seen a long burnout tire mark that is only one tire(no posi/locker), notice how its pretty straight. ever seen a long burnout tire mark that is two tires(posi/locker), notice how it usually zigzags sideways?
That makes sense... so open diffs in 4wd are okay in the snow? I just noticed some lack of traction with the current setup (of course i was trying to scale a boulder with the other tires on wet grass) and want to improve it, but with winter coming, snow traction is my top priority...
Unread 10-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Lightningdon

One thing I noticed with my Cherokee....the tail would fishtail like mad if you tromp a little too much on the go pedal, but if in 4WD, you still run pretty much in the direction you point your wheels. You do have to be a little careful, though, especially if not in 4WD, 'cause you'll do a 360 in a heartbeat!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2003, 08:48 PM   #5
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCJ7
That makes sense... so open diffs in 4wd are okay in the snow? I just noticed some lack of traction with the current setup (of course i was trying to scale a boulder with the other tires on wet grass) and want to improve it, but with winter coming, snow traction is my top priority...
lockers do nothing for traction, that is the tires job. a lockers job is to turn both tires regardless if they have traction or not. spinning a tire in wet grass is usually a sign of bad tires.

so if you are thinking about lockers for better traction you are looking into the wrong thing, you need better tires. a locker with bad tires will just make both tires spin instead of just one.
Unread 10-27-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
NJCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyCJ
lockers do nothing for traction, that is the tires job. a lockers job is to turn both tires regardless if they have traction or not. spinning a tire in wet grass is usually a sign of bad tires.

so if you are thinking about lockers for better traction you are looking into the wrong thing, you need better tires. a locker with bad tires will just make both tires spin instead of just one.
Bad like old? Or bad like not optimized for off road? My tires are new, but i don't think the previous owner had wheeling in mind when he got them...
Unread 10-27-2003, 09:56 PM   #7
DustinsCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCJ7
Bad like old? Or bad like not optimized for off road? My tires are new, but i don't think the previous owner had wheeling in mind when he got them...

What kind of tires are you running?
[COLOR=red]P.O.S[/COLOR] Jeep club member [B]#2[/B]
84 CJ7 nuttered up, TFI'ed, MC2100 conversion, 2" spring lift, 31" BFG MT's
79 LUV 4x4
[COLOR=blue]Live like there's no tomorrow[/COLOR]
DustinsCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
overlander

Well, it might not matter what tire you have if 2 of them are in the air. When climbing an obstacle such as you mention it tends to unload 2 of the tires while placing all the weight on the other two. It won't matter what tire you have then if the differentials are open. A limited slip or locker is one answer, a more flexible suspension is another.

Some obstacles cannot be overcome in this scenario as even with a locker the available traction to the tires with traction will not be enough and they will spin.
overlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2003, 07:55 AM   #9
NJCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinsCJ7
What kind of tires are you running?
Futura (pep boys??) Dakota A/T's
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #10
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I've noticed teh sliding thing but usually in the corners.
So, don't apply power in the corner, that simple.

You get used to it very easily.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
MR.CJ-7

I have my lockrite in the front. No problem. If it is really, deep or icy my jeep has a slight tendency to crabwalk to the right a little, but not a problem, especially when you weigh all the benefits of a locker!

Get the lockrite--you'll be happy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.