Lock-right for Dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lock-right for Dana 30

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
crazy8x4o5
1978 CJ7 

Lock-right for Dana 30

I found one on sale new for $210. My rear AMC 20 is still a stock open carrier. I've been reading around and the majority consensus is to run a front locker if you are only going to have one. I mainly run light mud and logging and forrestry trails. No major climbing or crawling.

thoughts?

crazy8x4o5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
davegt
1983 CJ5 

I feel its like driving a front wheel drive car in the snow. Way better than any rear wheel drive cars or trucks ( unless 4x4 of course). No weight in the back over the tires = little traction. Also a lunch box locker on the front will behave Alot better on road than in the back, being able too unlock and lock the hubs.
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
crazy8x4o5
1978 CJ7 

The only roads I drive are too and from my wheeling spots
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You will love the front locker
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Lock the rear first. When you climb-the Jeeps weight is on the rear.
I run D/Ls, ft and re.
Make sure you put Moser 1 piece axles in that '20'.
LG
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
crazy8x4o5
1978 CJ7 

and that's the sad Part, most of this part of louisiana is flat as a board
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Lock it front and rear. After the first wheeling trip locked up you won't go back.
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
Lock it front and rear. After the first wheeling trip locked up you won't go back.
That's a fact
IF, you wheel in snow country. I would use Power-loc LSD front and rear.
Everything else-D/Ls all the way.
LG
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
davegt
1983 CJ5 

Climbing enough to tranfer the weight to the rear is going to require alot more than just lockers. As an above poster stated, You need 1 peice axles , and to weld the axl tubes. Also Good roll cage..lol. To put a locker in the rear without this stuff done (excludling the cage of course) will prob destroy your axle. Front locker will not require this stuff. There has been a few debates on this topic and seems to be more people for the rear lockers ( old school..lol) Front provides way more traction for steering and climbing hills (unless the hill is steep enough that you are worrying about tipping over)... Hoping this will become a good debate...haha Just my $.02
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegt View Post
Front provides way more traction for steering and climbing hills (unless the hill is steep enough that you are worrying about tipping over)... Hoping this will become a good debate...haha Just my $.02
Could not disagree more.
Anytime the front of the Jeep's nose is elevated. The CG shifts to the rear.
The front unloads.
I have seen this happen many times, taking a crippled Jeep with a 'dead' rear back to camp and every-time the 'locked' front had to go up hill. The front would spin like crazy.
The key to off road traction, is have'n all 4 wheels pull'n equally.
LG
Unread 04-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have had just the front and just the rear. In my experience, if I can only choose one 99% of the time it's the front that will get me where I want to be.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Could not disagree more.
Anytime the front of the Jeep's nose is elevated. The CG shifts to the rear.
The front unloads.
I have seen this happen many times, taking a crippled Jeep with a 'dead' rear back to camp and every-time the 'locked' front had to go up hill. The front would spin like crazy.
The key to off road traction, is have'n all 4 wheels pull'n equally.
LG
A few weeks back, we had a guy break his rear driveshaft. I hooked a long strap to him so I could pull him up the hills, and through the mud holes, and still have enough slack so he could go on his own when possible. Pulled him a couple of miles out of the woods this way.

Sunday, I blew out a front universal. Being the first beautifully warm day we have had in Lord knows how long, I wasn't ready to go home yet. I unlocked the hubs and ran it in 2 low all day. Never had any problems at all covering the same trails, plus more, that he couldn't make in front wheel drive only.

I did my front first, and a while later did the rear. Having the front done only, made a huge difference. I would imagine that having the rear only would make a huge difference also. If the OP has a line on a good deal on the front (same as I did), then by all means, snag it up and do the front.
Same goes for the rear.Take what you can get.

I will agree with the post about doing one piece axles and welding the center chunk before adding a locker to the rear. If it's a stock AMC 20
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Any locker is better than no locker.....

It seems to me that an opportunity has presented itself to you to get a reasonably priced locker for your jeep.....

Just do it!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
davegt
1983 CJ5 

Well said truck 633. Couldn't agree more.
I live in a high altitude valley with 16ft of snow annually and lots of mud. Rear wheel vehicles just don't cut it here. i watch people going up hill backwards in Rwd vehicles all the time...and fwd pass right on by.
center of gravity does shift when going up hill but, the front of a vehicle is way heavier then the back (even more so in a Jeep) so it takes a pretty step hill to shift the CG enough to lose traction, especially when you have the 3rd wheel in the back pushing.
Unread 04-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Go for the front for now for sure. Besides the expense of having to modify your rear axles and axle tubes, rear only locked means in any slippery stuff at all you must put it in 4x4 or you just end up crab walking up any slope at all. They call a rear only locker a low side finder, because it will drift to the low side every time it slips.

I have lockers front and rear and was strongly warned about this low side finder issue. The gent delivering it to me ended up doing a 360 hitting a mailbox as he came off the highway exit ramp and started accelerating up the side road in a really cold rain storm so it even can go out sideways in the rain under throttle. On anything slippery 4x4 is a must in that Jeep. At least it has an auto front hub lock. (YJ)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.