Are liquid check valves rebuildable? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Are liquid check valves rebuildable?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCJ7 View Post
Thanks all,
I replaced the fill neck and cap. in Cali they pressurize the system to about 5psi and it needs to hold. So the LCV is needed to hold back the pressure so it dose not vent.
Actually, that's not quite how it works. The way they should be testing the evap system is to pinch closed the vapor line up at the charcoal canister (where it is easily accessible). The LCV won't hold back pressure unless it is closed (gas has filled it enough to lift the float to the closed position). It isn't a vapor check valve, just liquid. So they close the line in the front to pressure test via the connector that fits over the filler hole. Besides something like a bad o-ring on the valve (and possibly the roll-over valve as well) you probably also want to look at the condition of your hoses. Mine were shot and replacing them solved my leak test fail. Also, pressurizing my system was actually forcing fuel out through the fuel line (which was also cracked).

To make sure mine passed after fixing things, I made my own pressure testing setup before taking it in for the re-test: http://jeep.smallcraft.net/evap/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.