liquid check = rollover check??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > liquid check = rollover check???

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
meater
1981 CJ8 

liquid check = rollover check???

Soooo,

i need to replace my liquid check valve. George's seems to be the only answer to this fix (aside from plugging the hoses).

According to him:

the liquid check valve is no longer in circulation.
the rollover check valve does the same thing as the liquid check valve.
the fix: install two rollover check valves in place of the LCV & original RCV.

My problem with that answer:

It is my understanding that the liquid check valve behaves differently from the rollover check valve. They are not the same valve.

My question:

Can I replace my LCV and RCV with one RCV and have my system run smoothly?

meater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Well I needed new seals for my 20 gallon tank and during the inspection, I saw one of the rollover checkvalves was cracked, so I decided to replace both of them. I went to the dealer to see if they had them. It turned out when you type in 1985 CJ7 they were discontinued, when I told the parts guy to write down the number and crosscheck it with a 1994 Wrangler YJ, they are the same part numbers. I didn't think about the liquid check valve, but I am sure they are close enough to the same.

Try this number at a dealership -
J319 8666 Check Valve

They are different types of valves and you can not run them like you suggested. You need the correct ones or just bypass the LCV.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

They serve different purposes. The roll over valve closes when the vehicle is upside down. The liquid check valve closes when it fills up. It works more like a carburator's float system. It has a needle/seat in it. It stops fuel from leaking out the vent line during off camber situations (like steep climbs). I took one of these magic valves apart a couple weeks ago.. just had to see what made it tick.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have only been using the roll over valves in the tank and have my canister relocated up by my brake master to keep it's air filter out of the mud. I run sand pit and ravine walls and haven't had any gas getting to my canister, well no fumes anyway. I also have had it rubber side up sideways twice on the canister side and had no gas leaks.

Maybe I have been lucky or just don't overfill my gas tank or just don't run steep stuff with a full tank? Or maybe my raised canister does the trick?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep discontinued the use of the liquid check valve after the CJ - the YJ only has the rollover check valve. I believe in the YJ they are mounted on top of the tank, just like in the factory 20-gallon option on the CJ.

Seems to me as long as the rollover check valve is mounted high enough above the top of the tank to prevent liquid fuel from flowing through in high-angle situations, you might decide to run without the liquid check valve, just like the YJ, although you should know what your local emissions and inspection regulations are before making any changes to the system.

Don't run without the rollover check valve, especially if you drive off-road and are at any risk of rolling over.
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ystem_jeep.jpg

and I have this for sale also if needed
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.