Liner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Liner?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-19-2002, 03:16 PM   #1
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Liner?

I am thinking about spraying a bedliner in my jeep. I have heard many good things about this and I think it would be good for me. My question is should I do it myself or should I have it done professionally? And if I could do it myself what brand of liner do you think would be best to use. If I get it done professionally I will probabaly get it done by Line X. There is one located not too far from where I'm working on my jeep. Has anybody heard anything about Line X. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

Trevor

Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I went with Line-X in my Jeep.....fantastic product. My warning stems from the shop that did my install. Lesson learned: forget speaking with the shop owner, always speak to the guy doing the actual spraying. ALSO, insist that they allow you to come in after the masking off process, but before the spray job, to OK the progress. I asked for thin and "for it to stop right here at this line" It looked great when I picked it up.... First thing the installer bragged about was how thick he got it. WHAT, I asked for thin....why? I wasn't going to haul bricks in my CJ. In fact, I even have carpet in it. I wanted it for rust protection and to dampen the road noise. End result: I could only use one side bracket on my folding rear seat, the stereo boxes fit poorly now, and I had to trim off several sections and repaint (don't let them spray anywhere a rubber weather seal should go...ie tailgate) what idiots. It's been several years and holds up great. I settled for the "black only" that they offered, but wished I went with brown/tan to match my interior. In a few more years, I will most likely redo it ( and the whole Jeep) OH Yeah, before the install, I removed my roll bar and used POR-15 under the mounting plates. I then reinstalled it and siliconed around all joints and seams. After the spray, it locks out all the water that could get under it..

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
Boggy Bottom

Good advice about the Por-15 under the rollbar mounts, Ed. I am planning to do this to one of my restos soon as I get to that stage on it. I was thinking about going with Rhinoliner, since they are closest to my house. Did you get it sprayed under the tub and in the wheelwells too?
Unread 06-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

>>>Did you get it sprayed under the tub and in the wheelwells too?

Nope, and glad I didn't. The spray system is kinda bulky and unless the tub is off the frame and upside down, they couldn't or wouldn't do a good job as the drive train,frame and wheels would have been in the way. I did completely gut the interior myself. Seats, belts, brackets, door strikers, tunnel hump cover, console, etc etc. Even the wire loom that goes by the drivers door back to the tail lights, etc. I wanted it idiot proof, and they still F'ed up. go figure.
About 14 years ago,when the jeep was still some what new, the owner had the bottom Z Barted and because it didn't have any rust, it locked in a layer of protection. It still has no rust on it ( except for the exhaust system (pipes) and I just use the rubberized under coating in a can in the wheelwells and a little underneath..works great.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
Boggy Bottom

Thanks, Ed. I did see some bedliner in a can at my favorite parts store. I have read reviews about it and they were all favorable. I suppose I could use that to apply to any area I felt needed to be added in after the Rhinoliner boys get done.
Unread 06-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #6
CJ7Binger

My roomate and I bought the sprayliner from the local parts store for our Jeeps.(Quick and cheap until we can afford the professional job) We just pulled up the carpet and masked stuff off and went to town. I am sure it isn't as durable as the expensive stuff but so far it has held up remarkably well.
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:24 AM   #7
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

For small parts I tried the Liner in a spray can. It works well. I sprayed the inside of my tailgate with it. It looks good, almost like a smoother wrinkle finish.
Hey Renegade578, What color is your Jeep? I'm in your town so if you've seen a tan CJ5 Golden Eagle, roll cage and a Big 9" Backup light in the spare,, It's me.
Unread 06-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #8
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Hey LS1CJ5. You live in Jackson too? That's cool. But you probably haven't seen my jeep around cause its not running yet. I'm doing a frame up restoration in a shop out in Pearl. I just got the the frame is almost done. I just need to get the body in good enough shape to drop it on. But I think I'm gonna paint it blue so in a few weeks if you see a blue CJ-7 around it will probably be me.
Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:13 PM   #9
jeepinbroder

Has anyone tried Herculiner? I'm getting ready to line the inside of my tub and I hear it's pretty good. I've also heard of cases where it flakes off under pressure. I'm guessing the flaking was caused by not taking the time to prepare the metal before applying it. Any thoughts?
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:20 PM   #10
Boggy Bottom

I say that if you scuff the old surface really good with a scotchbrite pad, and wipe it down good with acetone or lacquer thinner, you can't go wrong. I'm thinking Four Wheeler (?) had a review on Herculiner not too long ago. They liked it.
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #11
Doug76CJ5

I herculined my entire tub (inside), I took the time to do it right. After removing seats, belts, center console and roll bar I sanded everything and then wiped it down with acetone, I did this twice (a little overkill but it works) and then applied the herculiner. It took about 3 days start to finish working about 2 hours a day. I have a friend who had his sprayed in at a cost of approx. $700, my cost $50 plus tax, I think mine looks twice as good, his has started to fade some and mine looks the same as day one (except for all the mud inside). By the way I bought the herculiner at Tractor Supply, it was 1/2 off. So it's up to you but I'll save my $600 for other parts I can't live without.
Unread 06-22-2002, 06:40 PM   #12
Boggy Bottom

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Doug76CJ5:
<strong>I herculined my entire tub (inside), I took the time to do it right... I think mine looks twice as good...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sweet! This is the stuff that good forums are made of!

**cheers**
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:44 AM   #13
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

I herculined my CJ-7 about 2 weeks ago. I had everything pulled out of the tub (seats, roll-bar etc) already, so it was a breeze. I used corolles (sp?) from Eastwood to take care of the surface rust and bolted in a couple plates to cover up some holes created when I cut other rust spots out. I then scuffed it up with a green scratch pad and sandpaper. Used acetone to wipe it down and then started rolling it on. I did the entire inside of the tub twice, and used black spray paint to get up underneath the dash for a finished look.

I am VERY happy with the results. I've seen the sprayed on liner, and it is good, but way more expensive. The only advantage the sprayed on liner has is color matching as far as I am concerned. The catch there is that I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg to touch up any damaged areas in the future. I know I can always pick up a $30 can of Herculiner at Kmart if I need a touch-up.

I didn't get mine on sale, so I paid the $89 for regular kit, and also bought another quart for $29. That was enough to do two coats, and some extra coats on the heavy use spots. I've seen where you can get it in grey and red for about $149 for the gallon kit. Black was a better option for me. ALSO, I've seen mention of a $20 rebate on the gallon kit, if it is still current.

Two thumbs up!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.