Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lil Red CJ5 Log

13K views 114 replies 13 participants last post by  roboto65 
#1 ·
Well have to start somewhere have been hanging around here long enough paid member and all anyhoo figured I would put this here like everyone else to log what I have done.

Mine may take a bit not to get running mind you but to well they never finish who am I kidding :rofl:

I will get to some pics later on in the day as I am out there pulling the heads.

Thanks for following along :highfive:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet! Was wondering if you really had a Jeep. :teehee: Just kidding!

Sign me up for the ride. I have always loved the slotted 76 and earlier Renegade rims.

I noticed your missing you hood latches. I have a set of crusty hood latches that would clean up and paint if you put a little time in to them. Yours for shipping to get you started if you want them.

:wave:

#12 ·
I'm there! Bring it on.

Should I be on the lookout for a 360? Or maybe a sbc 350? or...

Please post lots O pics.

:tea:

#5 ·
Ok well have a few more mashed fingers doing things the hard way LOL as always. Gonna have to figure out a way to scale images or put them on PB half would not load because they are slightly over the forums size limit.

And lookie what I found not sure what to do here well I know what I am going to do for now. Will get the heads done and put her back together that is between the coolant ports does not compromise the cylinder at all. I guess when I get her running I will be on the look out for a 360 to build.

Attachments

#6 ·
Hopefully the image sizes on PB will come out alright.

Well look what I found when I took the Intake off.

A little closer yep pushrods but they were all there.

One engine out and ready for cleaning.

Again hope these images are not to big.

#7 ·
Wow.. Looks like all the push rods are there. I guess your PO broke them and didnt pull the intake to remove the old ones..

I guess you dont need those hood latches I offered now ;-)

You got the engine pulled quick! Whats the plans now??

#8 ·
Yeah guess the PO just replaced them I need to get her running on the cheap now then I will go hunting for a 360. Oh I forgot I will get a pic up of the burnt valve yeah I knew about that one though.
PM sent LOL

#9 ·
Oh plans well cleaning up things in the front end first frame and paint and put the engine back in. And get her driving. Then fix things and upgrade on my weeks off the boat. Work, save, spend, wrench and repeat LOL

#11 ·
Sorry should fill everyone in yeah this engine was running great really other than the burnt valve and low compression in that cylinder idled great and revs were good but had planned on pulling the heads and so here we are figured if I was doing all this it was time to start my own thread :)

#13 ·
Yeah was looking around here found one in Dallas area a 360 unknown history wants a 100 bucks for it. Thats a candidate but my best friend is after me to put a Ford motor in her LOL

#15 ·
Fairy dust is right LOL I spent the day cleaning and getting ready for the reinstall.

All ready for the wire wheel

Looks much better

And another view

Also like I knew better, wire wheeling in shorts hurts felt some shrapnel hit my leg ouch no biggie look down wire sticking out of my leg :eek: stuck in there pretty good but I always wear eye protection no excuses.

#17 ·
Yep was planning on it thinking about Rhino lining or a similar product. Probably leave it like that till I get off the boat next time as I will have some other goodies to go on Hint Hint MoC :cheers2:

#20 ·
That reminds me of a time long ago when a bunch of us kids were playing around with fire crackers "experimenting" and sticking them in things to see what would happen, well one of us thought it a good idea to put one in a plastic pen cap. After it went off we were kinda disappointed for a second until we noticed the blood dripping from tiny holes in our legs. That ended that party.

Builds lookin good. We gotta get you off the boat though to get some work done. LOL

#25 ·
Well got the heads to the shop for a valve job and got the dirty engine back in :eek: did not get the firewall this time but will get it next time before I install the heads and button her back up.

Pics

Lots to do next time in on my week off hopefully front disc brakes, Engine back and running and test drive.

#26 ·
Well got home today and picked up the heads and while inspecting found this. The guy who did the work said they bead blasted and well honestly they where not told to port or polish but heck thats been in there from the factory really. Guess I will take the valves out and grind that stuff off also decided well since the lifters were cupped may as well order a cam how does this cam look?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8600/overview/ I already have the lifters and push rods and they ordered a full gasket set so I have the gaskets already.

Attachments

#28 ·
MoC said:
Almost looks like something someone tried to repair.
It looks to as if they just removed some cast flashing. Maybe to prevent a piece from breaking loose. Sure would like to see it before. How bout taking the picture and asking them.

Bill

#29 ·
The valve on the right is not new or rebuilt by my eyes, look at the discoloration. If the stuff you are showing was done before the rebuild, it would be the same color/shade as the rst of the head, not shiny like that. almost looks like a welding wire or a stick that accidentally touched the head while live/hot. Look at the yellow discoloration deep in the chambers, water from the hot tank? Should not be there. Go back and spank the guy.

pS, the discoloation could be when the weld wire or stick touched and arced.

WSS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.