Lil Red CJ5 Log - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lil Red CJ5 Log

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Well lots of running today and doctors appt ugh lol alls good I will live another day.

I took the front timing cover off today and well the timing chain is kinda loose so well along with the cam it will get replaced

Anyhow cleaning the cover off now and scrubbing all the parts about the only thing I am not messing with is the pistons and bearings.

Unread 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

After you get the new timing set check the oil passage in the drive gear for the cam. Numerous reports of casting flash has been found there, I had some in mine. To my knowledge all the oil for the fuel eccentric, timing chain, and distributor drive gear come from the front cam bearing , and passes thru the passage.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #33
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Got ya will do woke up this morning ready to go lots to do today will report back tonight.
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Looks like you are making progress! How about another update? That's a hoss of a cam for a 304 if I am not mistaken. Have you ordered it yet? You might want to ask around if you haven't. I put a Bullet split duration 256/263 in mine. Lucdog is right, better check all those passages out. There is also a modification you can do on the cover that I did on mine and it really helped the oil pressure. Also from what I hear, a Cloyes chain is the best.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #35
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Have not ordered a cam yet. I work on a Tugboat and well spend 2 to 3 weeks gone and a week home so updates come as I get home and get working on her LOL

How do you like the split duration cam? I am not looking for a monster cause the 304 is not that and the only reason I am doing the cam is the bottom of the lifters were concave so figured the cam needs to be replaced I am on the look out for a 360 to rebuild but need the 304 to run for a while so I can rebuild at my leisure and as the money comes in.
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I was thinking you worked on a boat. I love my cam. It has a nice little "hit" to it and didn't kill me on torque. From my understanding, the bigger the cam the more low end torque you loose. I think that one listed from 1500-5300 rpm. I am thinking you need something from an idle to 4500 or 5000 rpms. Also if you have to look at how much lift you are getting or else you can't use your stock set up on the valve springs. I am no expert, but that is what I remember when I was looking for one on mine. You can always call the guys at bullet racing cams and ask them for some info. Oh yeah, one other thing I learned is that they have taken all the zinc (I believe) out of the oils now days and a flat tappet cam needs that especially while being broken in. You will have to use that additive while breaking it in. I use Valvoline VR1 racing oil in my motor because it is supposed to be one of if not the only oil with the zinc left in it. I still have my stock cam and if you were close you could just get it and see if it was good since you are trying to "get by" until you get your 360. It ran good before I swapped it out and the lifters looked good best I can remember.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Your thinking ZDDP .

There is more than 1 brand, this is what I use. Including my '05 Rubicon.
http://www.penngrade1.com/

ZDDP , IMO is critical for breaking in a new cam. A number of CJ owners use Rotella 15w-40, I feel this is a good oil but lacks the zinc additives that it had in the past. The reduction in zinc was partly because of catalytic converters And whatever else emission crap they put on new Diesel engines. And that probably goes together with low sulfur diesel fuel. I still use Rotella in my diesel pickup, but I add a zinc additive.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Old small block chevys could have what was called a RV cam put in when rebuilding for a few extra bucks, sometimes just by asking. It would add a few more pounds of torque at lower rpms. Used in trucks and well, RVs. Dunno if AMC has a similar option. Whatever you decide, it will be much better than when you started, so remember a stock or slightly jumped up cam may not show up on the radar as much as a new timing chain and valve job.
Decisions! Jeeps are so much fun.......

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #39
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Yep she keeps me happy. Again the I figured I had to replace the cam since the lifters were concave on the bottom and the old cam would eat new lifters I mean the engine was running good before the tear down other than the burnt valve but even that did not affect it much. As far as oil goes yeah will get a break in lube for the cam for sure and will have to break down and buy some dino oil

I run Royal Purple in all my engines well the ones that run 15w 40 lol Why you ask well thats what we run on my boat and made an agreement with the boss So I get it for my personal use for free

Really want to get her running so I can make it a running project. Thanks for all the feedback guys I appreciate it.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #40
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Well married off the son yesterday "God rest his soul" She is a good women and they love each other very much. Anyhow have not got much done pulled the cam will get pics up later of it but here is a pic of the Happy couple.

Should have invited you all,heck we had 5 family members there,her side had 30 LOL we are hermits I guess plus both are parents are gone but we had a good time.

I spent way to much Jeep money ok now it is related
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #41
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Congrats on your sons wedding!
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #42
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Thanks. Let me catch up MoC and I will get you taken care of have not forgot about ya hope thats cool.
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65
Thanks. Let me catch up MoC and I will get you taken care of have not forgot about ya hope thats cool.
No worries sir, will hold it as long as u need.
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #44
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Ok cams always throw me and well being the scrooge that I am Summit has 2 cams for 65 bucks with 2 different profiles any help here. I may end up spending more on the cam if I have to I know I do not need anything drastic it's a 304 not a race motor.

Thanks guys

Oh some links DUH

http://www.summitracing.com/search/m...type/camshafts

Anything on that page look right?
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #45
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I have always had good luck with the tech line at Summit. They actually seem to know there stuff when I have had to call them. I would give them a call and get their input. If I had to pick one on that page it would be the comp cam cca-10-201-4. It's the one with the 260/260 duration. The valve lift isn't as much. I would pick the smaller cam in the Summit if I went that way. It's the Sum 8600. The valve lift is higher so you would need to make sure that's not going to mess you up. I just used the stock set-up I already had on my heads on mine and the valve lift on many of the cams I looked at was too high. Again, I am certainly no expert. Hope that helps. You will have to post some sound when you get it running. I can't wait to hear it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.