JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Likely cause of frame, body, suspension creak? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/likely-cause-frame-body-suspension-creak-1524554/)

Ken4444 05-17-2013 08:04 AM

Likely cause of frame, body, suspension creak?

Sometimes when I slowly pull my '85 into a driveway or other sloped area, I can hear a creaking sound. The sound is not like a squeaky door, but lower in pitch and short in duration.

My first thought was that something in the suspension was at fault, so I positioned one ramp in front of a tire, drove up the ramp, and listened for the sound. I did this with each tire, one at a time, to flex the suspension.

The only time I heard the creak was coming from the rear of the Jeep when I was flexing the front. So now I'm thinking the source of the sound may motion between the frame and body when the frame is subject to uneven torque.

My frame is in good shape, the shackles and bushings are all fairly new. Fairly recent shocks.

The body mount bushings are all old and likely original. The bolts holding the body to the frame are all old but in the past I have removed, cleaned, greased, and reinstalled most of them. The Superlift leaf springs are old and have some surface rust.

So, it's probably nothing to worry about but I thought I'd post to see if anyone had any ideas or has heard this problem before.

WindKnot 05-17-2013 10:59 AM

I would look at those old rubber body mounts. They decay and then allow movement. You're lucky! You know they'll unfasten! I'm looking at a box of mounts and am hoping the fasteners aren't rusted in place!

Prothane urethane mounts are at about $50-$60 BTW. When shopping around, make sure the grill mount is included. Many don't include it for some reason.

Renegade82 05-17-2013 11:41 AM

I would guess your body mounts too, in particular the one under the bed that has support brackets to the next one further back at the rear most support rib, which is the second tub mount from the rear.

Ken4444 05-17-2013 11:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps new body bushings and bolts will be my next project. I know some of those bushings are split open and all of them are pancaked and brittle.

Does anyone have any experience with new rubber body bushings? I would prefer to use rubber for the shock-absorbing quality, but I want them to last more than a year.

WindKnot 05-17-2013 01:42 PM

I wanted rubber bushings, but in my frustrating search I couldn't find any with the grill mount. That doesn't mean they're not out there, it means I got frustrated looking. I hope that my suspension will ease the shock enough for me.

WSS 05-18-2013 02:35 AM

Ours had a similar noise that I tracked to the clutch linkage that is between the frame and bellcrank. A couple of shots of teflon lube and it has diminished. It woud happen when I had my foot on the clutch and rolling. but not when sitting still and clutched.

The time now is 02:44 AM.