lights and wiring HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > lights and wiring HELP!

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
sheltc

lights and wiring HELP!

Just bought my 79 cj5. It is in reasonably good condition, but I was driving it last night and the lights were cutting off and on! A guy I work with said that the floor dimmer switch was bad for going out and causing this. Any truth to that? I hate tracing wiring!

sheltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltc View Post
Just bought my 79 cj5. It is in reasonably good condition, but I was driving it last night and the lights were cutting off and on! A guy I work with said that the floor dimmer switch was bad for going out and causing this. Any truth to that? I hate tracing wiring!
I would replace it. For $6-7 it usually wears out with all that voltage passing through it

Ben
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
I would replace it. For $6-7 it usually wears out with all that voltage passing through it

Ben
Right Idea, Wrong Reason.

Somewhere between 12 and 14 volts are all that passes through a dimmer switch,
What kills them is the AMPERAGE they have to deal with when the connections are made and broken internally.
The AMPERAGE is what kills the contacts.

You were VERY close!
Most people think they die because people yank or stomp on them too hard!

The last one I changed must have had an ounce or more of mud in it when I took it apart!
No wonder they only last about a year for me...

---------------

The dimmer switch usually goes out because it's on the floor board and gets a TON of abuse from dirt, moisture, ect.

The switches in the GM columns are too small to do the job correctly, too small of contacts for the current they have to deal with,
And the contacts are made from the wrong stuff to live...
Along with all the dirt, dust, moisture, mouse poop, ect that gets into them.

Consider putting your head lights on Relays so a lot of current doesn't have to go through those already overworked switches?
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Don't cheap out on the dimmer switch. Get a good one. I have used the BWD with good results. While your at it, run a ground from the battery to the lights.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
sheltc

Thanks for the advice. I figured it out. It was the actual headlight switch. Now does anyone know what a good website to order parts from would be
sheltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Right Idea, Wrong Reason.

Somewhere between 12 and 14 volts are all that passes through a dimmer switch,
What kills them is the AMPERAGE they have to deal with when the connections are made and broken internally.
The AMPERAGE is what kills the contacts.

You were VERY close!
Most people think they die because people yank or stomp on them too hard!

The last one I changed must have had an ounce or more of mud in it when I took it apart!
No wonder they only last about a year for me...

---------------

The dimmer switch usually goes out because it's on the floor board and gets a TON of abuse from dirt, moisture, ect.

The switches in the GM columns are too small to do the job correctly, too small of contacts for the current they have to deal with,
And the contacts are made from the wrong stuff to live...
Along with all the dirt, dust, moisture, mouse poop, ect that gets into them.

Consider putting your head lights on Relays so a lot of current doesn't have to go through those already overworked switches?
paraphrasing gets me in trouble

I knew it was amperage I just wanted to get that in before I left.

I dont know why they made them the way they did. they could have easily hooked them up to a relay

Ben

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.