Lights Flashing While Idling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lights Flashing While Idling

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
rahijada
1974 CJ5 

Lights Flashing While Idling

I have a problem I'm trying to figure out, I'm not 100% sure of the details here, but it's what I've observed so far.

To start with...I have a 1974 CJ5 with the 232 I-6. It's pretty stock under the hood, specifically I'm using the Motorola 37 amp alternator, Motorola Voltage Regulator, and a new battery (a few months old).

I just got the Jeep back on the road a few months ago and it's been doing well, but it started cranking slow, then one day it wouldn't start, would just click. Popped the clutch to start it and drove it home.

I tested the battery voltage and was getting just around 12 Volts, but when I'd try and start it all it would do is the clicking. If I hook up jumper cables to my car, I could start it. I charged the battery a week ago and it tested at about 13.5 Volts. I've been driving it for about a week now, and haven't tested the voltage again. I'll be sure to do that.

However, here's the problem I'm wanting to get some help with. After charging the battery I drove the Jeep over to Autozone to have them test the alternator. When he tested it, he said that everything tested ok, but that the alternator was only putting out about 30 amps. After telling him it was only a 37 amp alternator, he seemed to think that would be fine. I drove home, but when I got home and pulled the Jeep in the garage I noticed my headlights were flashing on and off, as if I were turning them on and off, as opposed to dimming and coming back up. This wasn't just the headlights, but also the dash lights, and I'm assuming side markers and tail lights, but I haven't confirmed this. As it was daytime, I didn't notice it until I pulled in the garage.

I took the Jeep out again a few nights ago and didn't have any problems with the lights flashing while I was driving (moving), but when I would come to a stoplight and sit, they would start flashing, once I started driving again, they seemed to stay on, but once I would come to a stop they'd start flashing again.

I'm not sure what to make of all of this, especially since they're flashing on and off, as opposed to just dimming.

Any ideas what's going on?

rahijada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Is it more of a pulsing? Mine were doing that, where the lights would rhythmically be dim/bright/dim, but they never went out.. My volt meter would pulsate with them. Mine would do it at a frequency that increased with RPM, and then once it hit a certain RPM it would cut to half the frequency..

I took the alternator apart, planning to take the diodes out and test them, and then also swap from a spare alternator any parts needed, (Spare was the OE 36A, I have a 78A in it now) and I found that there was a bluing on the commutator rings of the rotor. I used some crocus cloth and polished the bluing off, and reassembled (diode trio was ok). Fired it up, and it is fine now. I've caught it doing it every now and then lately, so I figured I'll have to do it again some day. I'm guessing that leaving the key 'on' and not running has heated a spot on the rings where the brushes were sitting, causing the blue spots.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.