Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lights

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Lights

Ok, I'm fighting the electrical bug that we all love so well. I have an issue with my side markers that I can't figure out. My side marker lights only come on when I have my lights on. They should blink with the lights off, but they don't? Any ideas? They blink when the lights are on...

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Ground? Maybe the lights being on provide enough resitive ground to power the markers.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Is this something new that just came up, or has it "always" done it? will the lights blink with the emergency flashers on?
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Do the park/turn signal lamps on the front work as they should? The side markers should mimic them.

If I recall correctly, the park/turn signal lamps ground thru the two screws that hold the lamp housing to the grill. I've read where some guys have gotten their lights to work correctly simply by cleaning any rust or corrosion off of those screws.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj
Is this something new that just came up, or has it "always" done it? will the lights blink with the emergency flashers on?
I changed to 1" LEDs but they flashed right before
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Do the park/turn signal lamps on the front work as they should? The side markers should mimic them.

If I recall correctly, the park/turn signal lamps ground thru the two screws that hold the lamp housing to the grill. I've read where some guys have gotten their lights to work correctly simply by cleaning any rust or corrosion off of those screws.

Good luck,

Matt
The parking lights on front work properly and flash with or without lights on. The side markers flash opposite the parking lights. It's strange. I found something on Daniel stern lighting where it shows the diagram of the 2 wires coming from the side markers. Both go to parking, but one goes to parking ground and the other goes to flash. He had a rewire suggestion where the sides were 1 flash and 1 park. Doesn't seem like I should have to do that if it worked before but it may be my best option
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Lee,

I just got done hunting down an electrical gremlin in one of my side markers, so this is fresh in my memory.

The two wires from the side marker should T into the two wires of the parking light. Green to green, white to white. They ground thru the parking lights housing.

My side markers also flash opposite of the parking lights. I think that is normal.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Lee,

I just got done hunting down an electrical gremlin in one of my side markers, so this is fresh in my memory.

The two wires from the side marker should T into the two wires of the parking light. Green to green, white to white. They ground thru the parking lights housing.

My side markers also flash opposite of the parking lights. I think that is normal.

Matt
Cool. I'm gonna get involved a little later an check how they come together. Lol. Right now, I'm dropping the gas tank because its fun (not).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.