Lights - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Lights

Ok, I'm fighting the electrical bug that we all love so well. I have an issue with my side markers that I can't figure out. My side marker lights only come on when I have my lights on. They should blink with the lights off, but they don't? Any ideas? They blink when the lights are on...

LeePrather is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
WSS
Web Wheeler
 
WSS's Avatar
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino
Posts: 2,537
Ground? Maybe the lights being on provide enough resitive ground to power the markers.

WSS
WSS is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM
jp360cj
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville
Posts: 1,802
Is this something new that just came up, or has it "always" done it? will the lights blink with the emergency flashers on?

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
jp360cj is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,717
Do the park/turn signal lamps on the front work as they should? The side markers should mimic them.

If I recall correctly, the park/turn signal lamps ground thru the two screws that hold the lamp housing to the grill. I've read where some guys have gotten their lights to work correctly simply by cleaning any rust or corrosion off of those screws.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj
Is this something new that just came up, or has it "always" done it? will the lights blink with the emergency flashers on?
I changed to 1" LEDs but they flashed right before
LeePrather is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Do the park/turn signal lamps on the front work as they should? The side markers should mimic them.

If I recall correctly, the park/turn signal lamps ground thru the two screws that hold the lamp housing to the grill. I've read where some guys have gotten their lights to work correctly simply by cleaning any rust or corrosion off of those screws.

Good luck,

Matt
The parking lights on front work properly and flash with or without lights on. The side markers flash opposite the parking lights. It's strange. I found something on Daniel stern lighting where it shows the diagram of the 2 wires coming from the side markers. Both go to parking, but one goes to parking ground and the other goes to flash. He had a rewire suggestion where the sides were 1 flash and 1 park. Doesn't seem like I should have to do that if it worked before but it may be my best option
LeePrather is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,717
Lee,

I just got done hunting down an electrical gremlin in one of my side markers, so this is fresh in my memory.

The two wires from the side marker should T into the two wires of the parking light. Green to green, white to white. They ground thru the parking lights housing.

My side markers also flash opposite of the parking lights. I think that is normal.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Lee,

I just got done hunting down an electrical gremlin in one of my side markers, so this is fresh in my memory.

The two wires from the side marker should T into the two wires of the parking light. Green to green, white to white. They ground thru the parking lights housing.

My side markers also flash opposite of the parking lights. I think that is normal.

Matt
Cool. I'm gonna get involved a little later an check how they come together. Lol. Right now, I'm dropping the gas tank because its fun (not).
LeePrather is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome