lifting ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > lifting ?'s

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-19-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
rwcloukey

lifting ?'s

My cj already had a 2" shackle lift when I bought it. Im interested in doing 4"suspension. #1. Is this difficult? what might I get caught up on? #2. With the total at 6" will I need to make any other adjustments? ie. dropped pitman arm, dropped transfer etc....? thanks for the help!

diamond dash
rwcloukey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
JeepingMoose

Hey! Welcome aboard!
My rig, like yours, came from the previous owners with a 2" shackle lift...no fun on the street, as it changed the caster angle for the front axle and promoted wandering on the street! I ditched it quick-like!
I went with a 2 1/2" lift as I wanted no larger than 33's in the future. My conversion was very easy and went well. Make sure you have a cement work surface, a floor jack, good jackstands,and an assortment of hand tools. My spring bushings were semi-seized and required a few major grunts on my part to loosen and remove. I went with extended brake lines even though they weren't required. On the 4" lift I believe extended brake lines and a dropped pitman arm are requred, as well as lowering the transfer case. All the required parts SHOULD be included in a quality kit.
All in all I am happy with my lift (Skyjacker), as my ride quality improved marginally and my articulation improved two-fold.
If I were to go with 35's,I would definately use a 4" lift OR a 2.5" and some judicious fender trimming (this option keeps your center of gravity down).
Remember if you go with larger tires, compensate with correct diff gearing!
Good luck with your wrenching, and welcome aboard...again!

Last edited by JeepingMoose; 03-19-2003 at 08:06 PM..
JeepingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #3
rwcloukey

do your 33's rub?
diamond dash
rwcloukey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
rok_toy

33's will rub.

33" tires will not stuff into the rear wheel well without rubbing, unless you cut some metal( or do a body lift). The wheel opening is smaller than 33". If you plan on getting full articulation, you will have to do some modifying( cutting the wells, or body lift). They will fit, with minor rubbing, if you don't mind that.

I've been there, done that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.