Lifting my CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lifting my CJ?

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-17-2002, 11:18 PM   #1
Cophgnsnuf

Lifting my CJ?

Ok I am a newbie here on the forum but I have a question.. I have a 82 CJ7 that I am running 36" superswampers on.. I did the SOA on it but I did not put a 2.5 inch lift and now my front springs are starting to sag a bit Drivers side more than passenger side. What I wanted to know was since I am running short on cash at the moment to put the lift on it I want would it work the same if I put say add a leafs and longer shackles on it or do I have to get the suspension lift kit to fix this problem.. ? Also I am looking at dropping out my AMC 20 rear for a ford 9" but I have heard that there is some cutting to do on the 9" both on the axels and the housing unit can anyone tell me how hard this will be to do if I go with the 9"?

Unread 02-19-2002, 02:53 PM   #2
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

I'm surprised you haven'y blown the crap out of that rear axle already.
Any Ford 9" you get will have to be modified. The tubes will have to be cut on each side of the Pumpkin to make it the same lengths as the original AMC20 and the spring perches have to be welded into the correct position. A Dana 44 is a strong axle and since they put those in the earlier Jeeps the Mods. might be less. There are plenty of Axle companies out there that can build you a 9" almost on a phone call. But be ready to lay out some bucks.
The suspension...I have two spring shops by me, and I have brought my Pickup truck in there and told them what ride I wanted and how high, and they did a sweet job for less then a kit. The shackles are a band-aid but it's a cheap temperary fix.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
Cophgnsnuf

I have heard that from so many people that they are suprised I have not blown out my rear yet but I have been running this way for about 2 yrs and no problems with it yet but I have been looking into going stronger as my driving is getting a bit more aggressive as I seek harder challenges thanks for the info
Unread 02-20-2002, 01:52 PM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Copey:

If you're really short on cash, get your springs rearched at a reputible spring shop. Thay can also add an ince or so, but as you know the springs will sag back eventully.

Also, you could try to find some of the heavy-duty springs (from the factory with one extra leaf) from a salvage yard. Seems less than likey, but with so many guys buying lift kits, there may be some decent stock springs tucked away in some random places.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.