Lifter Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lifter Help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Lifter Help

OK so I am into my motor pretty far. I have to swap out my cam as the oil pump gear keeps eating the distributor gear. I have the head all the way off and am now looking at the lifters. I see a little C snap thing holding the lifter down. Before I went digging around with a large screw drive I thought I would ask the best way to get at the lifters. Also how to get em out? Big Magnet?

As you can tell this is beyond my experience. So all good advice is great. I have to learn sometime.

1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
zombiesmasher13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the motor out you can just spin the block upside down and they should come out but if not.....Get a magnet that telescopes. I would suggest a rare earth magnet, they're a lot stronger. A pair of long needle nose pliers comes in very handy as well. When you get your cam make sure you get the cam/lifter set and not just the cam. When you replace one you really need to replace the other. Good luck on it
zombiesmasher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elks96 View Post
I have to swap out my cam as the oil pump gear keeps eating the distributor gear.
I thought our common problem was the distributor gears chewing up cam gears. Solved by changing out the gear on the distributor.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
I thought our common problem was the distributor gears chewing up cam gears. Solved by changing out the gear on the distributor.
Well for some reason I have went through 3 distributor gears in about 3000 miles. I just barely get everything set, then bam a tooth get skipped. I am pretty certain my cam shaft gear was damaged some how. I also just mis-posted about the issue.

Thanks a bunch.
1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.