Lifted cj5 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lifted cj5 questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #1
78daddyrat
1978 CJ5 

Lifted cj5 questions

Hey guys, I am trying to get my jeep going safely down the road and have a few questions. The jeep likes to wander some driving down a straight flat road and to be honest I only want to take it to around 45-50 mph tops as it seems it's too risky anything above that. The jeep is stock steering wise. Has 33x12.50 tires. My dad put a lift on it years ago. He says it has about a 3-4" lift. He told me he re-arched the springs(I don't know how much) and he put bigger shackles on it and I think they are 4 inches as they are 4 inches from center bolt to center bolt. I am planning on replacing all the old rubber bushings with new poly ones(they are deteriorating pretty bad) and taking it to get aligned. I figure that might help some. Something I read in the forums was that a lot of times when cj's are lifted the tie rod Or the pitman arm angle might be a bit off??? So I took a few pics of my front suspension to show you guys and see if you think it definitely needs some adjustment or not. I checked The steering shaft and it moves maybe a 16th of an inch when I try to pull it back and forth. The steering seems to have a little play but not much. I've read you can tighten up the steering box somehow but I figured I'd get the suspension tuned up first. Something that crossed my mind since I was gonna put new bushings in was maybe I should get some Stock sized shackles and put them back in if that would help with handling??

78daddyrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The wandering may be a combo of things, but most likely it's due to too little caster angle, caused by the longer shackles.

Ideally, the tie rod and drag-link should be parallel to each other. A drop pitman arm and/or a tie rod flip would help yours. That said, improper tie rod/drag-link angle causes bump steer, not wandering.

You should read this.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #3
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

You're on the right path. Replacing those worn bushings and getting it aligned should make a big difference. Those shackles don't look bad, nor do your angles. The alignment shop can also telll you if you need to add caster shims and what degree.
Unread Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #4
78daddyrat
1978 CJ5 

Thanks guys, I definitely want to get this thing in good running/handling shape. I would love to drive it everyday if I wanted too after I finish it up. Only problem now is the money for parts as it needs new tires, a top, plus the suspension tuning costs
78daddyrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #5
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

How much pressure are you running in the tire? Too much and mine wanders. If you are running the max pressure in them try letting 5lbs out, or even a little more.
Unread Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #6
davegt
1983 CJ5 

I agree your angles are not too bad. Looks almost the same as mine, which i fine handles great. I have same length shackles also. I would check steering box bracket for play. Cracks can be hard to see.
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.