Lift/Bushing Removal for Hawaii Recon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lift/Bushing Removal for Hawaii Recon

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
cj_kersh
1985 CJ7 

Lift/Bushing Removal for Hawaii Recon

I am trying to get my recon permit in Hawaii. They have a 3" body lift limit. Unfortunately, they count the 1" bushings as part of the body lift. So I need to remove 1" of lift from my CJ in order to get my recon.

My question is this: Would it be okay to remove the bushings? They are looking a little worse for the wear anyways. And I would replace them with new ones as soon as my recon and safety permits and everything were all filed. Would hopefully be less than 2 weeks without.

I don't think it is much of an issue but thought I'd run it by here since I am a newbie...

Last edited by cj_kersh; 06-21-2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Add photo
cj_kersh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Pictures?

All the body lift kits I have ever see are one piece bushings so it sounds like some one might have stacked the 3" lift on top of the original bushings. If that is the case you will probably need shorter bolts when you go to take them out.

Nice looking CJ!
Unread 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
cj_kersh
1985 CJ7 

Thanks so much! It does have a 3" lift stacked on the original bushings...should have clarified that. I figured I would need shorter bolts without the bushings, and was planning on installing new bushings and bolts after my inspections. I just want to make sure that not having bushings for two-three weeks isn't a big deal.
cj_kersh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
benullman
1981 CJ7 

thats 4" of BL. GROSS! Ditch all of that for a 1" BL or stock bushings.

do you have any suspension lift?

Ben
Unread 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
cj_kersh
1985 CJ7 

I do have a suspension lift...I can't ditch all the body lift because the tires are too big...and I refuse to pay $450 to drop the body lift from 3" to 2"...so my only option is to temporarily remove the bushings.
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
MoC
1986 CJ7 

FYI, Most body lifts 1-3 inches all cost under $140.

Whats a recon permit?
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
cj_kersh
1985 CJ7 

This retardness in Hawaii...just a way for them to get money out of the non-locals. If you live in Honolulu County, and you have a vehicle that has been modified in any way, you need to get a recon permit. It is all just a way to get us to spend money on the local economy. You need that permit before you can get your safety inspection, before you can get a permit to keep your out-of-state tags. I mean, the guy told me that I had to get a printout from a Jeep dealership analyzing my VIN# because I don't have the original doors (that have that info on a sticker). It is all just so ridiculous and has already cost me over $200. Sorry to vent. I'm about at the end of my rope with it. Don't want to spend $140 for new lift...I have grown fond of my jeep just the way it is. So I thought the bushings would be an easy fix...
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
rob_6095
1976 CJ5 

With all due respect to Hawaii the only way I know that you can keep your out of state plates if you've taken up residence in another state is if you're Military or there for college. And if you're military which I'm guessing you are then you should fall under different rules than the locals. You should have to meet the standards for the state that your vehicle is registered in. For them to require a permit for military to keep out of state tags is complete and total bull and you should be able to get around that if that's the situation that's happening. I know that I routinely ignored all california emissions and registration requirements when I was in the Marine Corps by registering in my state of legal residence which was West Virginia and meeting the requirements there. Of course if I'm wrong and you're not military then everything is irrelevant.
rob_6095 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
cj_kersh
1985 CJ7 

Unfortunately, Hawaii is its own strange little deal when it comes to this and many other things. Every vehicle on island needs a Hawaii safety inspection. No way around it. I am a civilian here working for the military, but it is the same for the active military. To get the safety inspection, I need to get my recon permit and an out of state permit. The out of state permit is $5...the recon is $15...but the hoops they want recon vehicles to jump through are painful. I can take my chances, but if I get stopped and a cop decides he is having a bad day, I can get cited for a whole long list of things. And I have bad luck in that department.

Tags
bushings , cj , hawaii , lift , recon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.