Lifetime Supply of Relays $50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lifetime Supply of Relays $50

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Lifetime Supply of Relays $50

Anybody that works on jeeps/cars, knows about relays. They are used even more nowdays than years ago in older cars. When I started my Jeep restoration last year, I elected to completely rewire and update the wiring in my 81 CJ5. I found a guy in Dallas that had a unlimited supply of Ford (Bosch type) relays. I paid $46 for 10 of them. I have used most of mine and decided I could use some more. I contacted him and he has sold a bunch but still has plenty. What is good now, he is offering a case (48) for $50. These relays cost about $10-15 each at a dealer. Also, these are good quality relays not like Tyco, etc. you buy at the auto parts that are China specials. For that price, you can't go wrong and that should give you a lifetime supply for all your current and future projects. Below is a link to his Craigslist listing. If interested, follow the link below and respond. He will email back.
If you need additional information, just PM me....

New Ford relays (Part FOAB-14B192-AA) Case of 48

Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Anybody that works on jeeps/cars, knows about relays. They are used even more nowdays than years ago in older cars. When I started my Jeep restoration last year, I elected to completely rewire and update the wiring in my 81 CJ5. I found a guy in Dallas that had a unlimited supply of Ford (Bosch type) relays. I paid $46 for 10 of them. I have used most of mine and decided I could use some more. I contacted him and he has sold a bunch but still has plenty. What is good now, he is offering a case (48) for $50. These relays cost about $10-15 each at a dealer. Also, these are good quality relays not like Tyco, etc. you buy at the auto parts that are China specials. For that price, you can't go wrong and that should give you a lifetime supply for all your current and future projects. Below is a link to his Craigslist listing. If interested, follow the link below and respond. He will email back.
If you need additional information, just PM me....

New Ford relays (Part FOAB-14B192-AA) Case of 48

Must of got a lot of requests. It's gone now
Quote:
This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I usually give .50 or $1 each for them at the salvage yard.
When you get them at the salvage yard, look for Cadillacs, they have a nifty bracket that holds two or three at a time, and they come with weather proof wiring & connectors.

JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

I spoke with him this morning about my brother ordering some... He still has plenty. Not for sure about his listing.. Here is his email...
His name is David White. Email address is

dmwhite.29@gmail.com
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

I called David and the link is back.. He deletes and replaces every day or so to keep it on top.. Here is the latest...

New Ford relay (Part FOAB-14B192-AA) Case of 48
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I usually give .50 or $1 each for them at the salvage yard.
When you get them at the salvage yard, look for Cadillacs, they have a nifty bracket that holds two or three at a time, and they come with weather proof wiring & connectors.

I have been using relays in a motorcycle wiring harness I have been building for a couple of years and the setup I'm using is as follows:

Relay Omron G8JN-1C6T-R-DC12 Allied Electronics 821-0886 1 6.35
Relay Socket Custom Connector BR05-SR Allied Electronics 587-0026 1 2.18
Relay Receptacle Socket Amp/Tyco 42100-2 Allied Electronics 512-0788 4 0.15
Relay Receptacle Wire Seal Custom Connector 312X06 Allied Electronics 587-0031 4 0.27
Relay Receptacle Blank Seal Custom Connector 312XP Allied Electronics 587-0034 1 0.27

The relay bases/sockets I'm using are very similar to the ones shown in Jeephammer's picture above and the relays are identical. As the info shows, these relays are made by Omron, the largest manufacturer of relays in the world and used by many auto manufacturers as OEM relays.

NOTE: The Recptacle Seals come in various sizes for different wire gauges and a total of five are needed between the wire seals and the blank seals.

I do agree this is a great deal on relays but you may want to consider this setup for the sockets and for the relays if David's are not the waterproof, skirted type of relay.

trailhead
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What are some common cars to find relays in?

I plan on going to the junk yard sometime soon and need to know what to look for. thanks
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

My wife's 1993 LeSabre had those same weatherproof relays, I scavengered that very bracket and mounted it in my Jeep. Have the driving lights, and both fan circuits wired up through it (3 relays).

I'm guessing they're used in all the full-sized GM cars. Pop the hood, and look.
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211 View Post

I plan on going to the junk yard sometime soon and need to know what to look for. thanks
Look in pretty much any 90's or later GM, for sure. I'm positive there are others out there but I know about the GM's because one of my friends had a Pontiac Grand Prix. We popped the relay cover and saw the relays were all Omron.

trailhead
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
dsl4me
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211 View Post

Look under the hood of any late model GM car/truck and you are bound to find some. I have a box of them form cars we've scrapped out over the years.

As far as buying 48 new for $50 I'd be concerned they are knock-offs. The chinese are great about conterfeiting parts, even reproducing UL label.

EX: $10 dealer relay
Manufacturer sells to the Ford for $2.50
Ford marks it up 100% to $5.00 then sends them to dealer.
Dealer marks them up 100% to customer for $10.

Selling something for 1/10-1/15th retail is fishy. And it's not even factory direct. Manufacturers of all kinds have said repeatedly that if it is more the 40% cheaper than the going retail rate it is most likely counterfeit.

And it is not something to laugh about. Knockoff oil filters with plain notebook style paper inside but painted and boxed like a major brand. Disc brake pads made from compressed saw dust. A/C gauges that look like USA made and when they don't work the purchasers return them to the US manufacturer and slam the real companies reputation.
1984 CJ7 Fiberglass body
258/T5/Dana300
*project*
dsl4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl4me View Post
Look under the hood of any late model GM car/truck and you are bound to find some. I have a box of them form cars we've scrapped out over the years.

As far as buying 48 new for $50 I'd be concerned they are knock-offs. The chinese are great about conterfeiting parts, even reproducing UL label.

EX: $10 dealer relay
Manufacturer sells to the Ford for $2.50
Ford marks it up 100% to $5.00 then sends them to dealer.
Dealer marks them up 100% to customer for $10.

Selling something for 1/10-1/15th retail is fishy. And it's not even factory direct. Manufacturers of all kinds have said repeatedly that if it is more the 40% cheaper than the going retail rate it is most likely counterfeit.

And it is not something to laugh about. Knockoff oil filters with plain notebook style paper inside but painted and boxed like a major brand. Disc brake pads made from compressed saw dust. A/C gauges that look like USA made and when they don't work the purchasers return them to the US manufacturer and slam the real companies reputation.
Obviously, all valid concerns, however I spoke with David this morning and he described the situation to me. He said that he works for a company that liquidates merchandise. Say if a load of stuff is stolen and eventually recovered, and the insurance company has already paid the claim, the insurance company will use a liquidator to sell the stuff and recover some of the money they spent on paying off the claim.

I'm going for a box and taking the risk of the counterfeit parts because I believe the risk is low. Additionally, I'm paying using Paypal so there is some protection there too. I might crack one of them open to check the construction but I might not.

trailhead
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
dsl4me
1979 CJ5 

Wish you luck.
They recently busted some knockoff Nike shoes that the store owners claimed were legit. No charges, just seized all merchandise to keep it off the streets. Faster than filing charges.
1984 CJ7 Fiberglass body
258/T5/Dana300
*project*
dsl4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #13
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

I can assure you these are not China knock offs. They are Ford stamped and made in Canada. If you pick one up you can tell right away because of the weight. Probably weighs twice what the cheap ones weigh. I have been using several of them for months now and no problems. I also compared to several I had removed from the wrecking yard and exact match, labeling, etc. I just recieved another 48 Saturday to finish up in the Jeep.... I talked to David Saturday afternoon and he said you can contact him directly if any questions or want to order some..

David White
dmwhite.29@gmail.com
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Around here, when they bust knock-offs the troops can use, the local PD gives it to us, and we pay shipping to the troops so they can have the stuff.
Sunglasses in particular are a big hit!
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Are these relays weatherproof like the GM ones?
ElZorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.