Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lexan Tunnel Cover Plate

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jp360cj 
#1 ·
I am considering making my tunnel cover plate out of Lexan. I though it would be cool to see down and check the transition and transfer case.

Anyone every done or seen anything like this? Why would it not work?

#2 ·
I am considering making my tunnel cover plate out of Lexan. I though it would be cool to see down and check the transition and transfer case.

Anyone every done or seen anything like this? Why would it not work?
Seems like a lot of work to see dirt, and grease, and grime.

Do you have reoccurring issues with transmissions falling out that you need to constantly check on it? ;)

#7 ·
No issues, just though it would be cool.

Neat idea, but it's going to get dirty and you'll have to take it off to clean it. I think the novelty would wear off after a few weeks anyhow.
This is what I'm worried about

A glass bottom boat? What kind of fish are you expecting to observe?

Makanak
a muck fish lol :D

#11 ·
I made one of those when I first brought my Jeep out of the workshop and did not have a cover plate made yet. A piece of polycarbonate, AKA Lexan, was used to cover the hole as it was easy to cut and shape and kept the heat from the engine bay from entering.

Not much to see down there as the transmission and shifters take away any view you might be expecting to see.

#12 ·
Not much to see down there as the transmission and shifters take away any view you might be expecting to see.
I drove my CJ for a couple of weeks with the trans tunnel cover and that's about right. The biggest thing I could see, other than small blur of the road passing under the Jeep, was the occasional movement of the transmission in relation to the body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.