Lee's 83 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lee's 83 CJ7

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
lcampbell89

Lee's 83 CJ7

So officially bought my first CJ7, I say first because I could definitely see myself having more in the future.

It's an 83 with 174xxx miles. A lot I know. But it will do for me!

I intend to use this thread as me kind of keeping a log/journal of what I do/want to do to it and most likely a resource for ideas/help as well.

Here are a few photos of it:

There are more in that album if you are interested.

The biggest problem that I have identified with it so far is a crack in the frame that had been previously been welded and now the weld has broken.

As seen in the above photo.

My current plan is to bring it to a welding / frame shop and get it fixed. I had seen some frame braces on quadratec that seemed like an interesting idea but figure I will see what the shop say's when we bring it in for a quote.

Next few things I plan to do it are:
1) Service brakes
2) Team Rush Upgrade
3) Replace main seal and oil gasket (As it currently leaks)
4) Install a head unit for radio
5) Blazer heater (possibly)
6) Seat replacement (possibly)

Few questions though:
1) Anything else I should be doing while doing brakes / replacing the seal and gasket?
2) Anyone know a good frame shop in the North Dallas area preferably?
3) Anything you can tell me about the jeep from the pictures like what axles I have? If I am missing something or anything needs urgent repair that I can't tell. I am mildly clueless on this at the moment.
4) And do most hard doors sit kind of loose and have no gasket/seal on them or am I missing that at the moment and need to replace them?

Thanks for everyone that gave me advice before hand on choosing a jeep and what to look for!

-Lee

lcampbell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Looks good. Stock axles on the 83 is the Dana 30 up front and an amc 20 in the rear. The 20 would have a perfectly round cover.

Go through and change.all the fluids. Make sure your brakes are all good. Got to be able to stop concentrate on getting things fixed first, then look at customizing. Lots of good info and people on this site. Welcome!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Nice Lookin CJ
Yes 83 a very good year
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
lcampbell89

Thanks guys.

And is it just me or am I missing a filter or something on top of the engine
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcampbell89 View Post
Thanks guys.

And is it just me or am I missing a filter or something on top of the engine
Filter for what? It looks like you have one on the carb. It looks although your PVC valve may not be hooked up. On mine it runs to the intake filter so it gets clean air. I've seen it where people just put a filter on the end of it, which you may have.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
lcampbell89

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorguy86 View Post
Filter for what? It looks like you have one on the carb. It looks although your PVC valve may not be hooked up. On mine it runs to the intake filter so it gets clean air. I've seen it where people just put a filter on the end of it, which you may have.
I'm honestly not sure. I thought it was missing something cuz there looks to be a triangular whole in the center of the inline. Where's the pcv located?

And other thing to add on to list of to Dos is the dash. The current one is a tad beat up. Thinking bout getting a stainless steel dash or getting an original and refurbbing it. I although I am interested in the idea of putting in rocker switches or something of the sort. Or will that not work due to type of switches they are?
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
lcampbell89

Alright so my parent's had the jeep towed to a freestone in order to hopefully get the brakes taken care of there and get the inspection done as well.

Unfortunately they called us today and said that the brakes need a complete overhaul. Said the cables are rusted through and they won't pass them so all cables will need to be replaced, same with the master cylinder, and weren't sure of the quality of the disc and drum brakes until that was done. But quotes around 2300 to fix it. So definitely going to be doing that myself.

They also said that there was a crack on the other side of the frame so that will have to be addressed as well. A YJ frame is starting to sound mildly appealing although probably an amount of work that I don't have the time for as I will be going home on the 19th and have to be back in Lubbock on the 30th preferably driving the CJ back with me.

I knew going into it when it got inspected that it was going to have problems and I am still optimistic about everything at the moment!

So currently what I am planning is just purchasing a new master cylinder, hopefully some brake lines, and probably just going ahead and overhauling all the brakes as well. Rather do everything at once and get it done.

Got a few questions though.

First off does anyone have a suggestion on a good brake line kit? And should I be trying to find pre bent ones or should I be aiming to do all the bending myself?

Second would it be extremely difficult to go ahead and make the rear disc brakes as well? Kits I saw looked quite pricey, might be better off just overhauling the drums I'm not sure.

Finally I had been thinking about putting YJ springs on to it, whether they would be stock or something like EMU springs I am not sure. But if I am going to have to rework the brake lines anyways figured it might not be a terrible idea to do those as well all at once. But I haven't done this before so I could be wrong and trying to do that as well could be a lot of extra work.

I just got this news and am about to be going into work so I haven't gotten time to research much into it but as soon as I get a chance I plan on trying to find examples of full installs of brake lines and such on the forums and hopefully in the manual.

Curious to hear y'alls opinions and suggestions!

Thanks,
Lee
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
lcampbell89

So been looking into a lot of this stuff. Seems like the prebent lines will be my best option.

Have thought about doing this for the master cylinder: http://street2mud.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28

Although looking into hydrobooster may not be a terrible idea.

Also have a good amount of interest in using the geotracker rotors and nissan pad/brackets to get disc brakes on the rear. Seems like it may be better then rebuilding the drum brakes?

Still haven't done a ton of research into putting YJ leaf springs on the CJ. Still gotta look more into that.

Lee
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
lcampbell89

Anyone have a good reference for doing brake lines?
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

174,xxx is just broken in! My 83 has over 220k on it before I decided to rebuild it, and that was just for fun!
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
lcampbell89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7 View Post
174,xxx is just broken in! My 83 has over 220k on it before I decided to rebuild it, and that was just for fun!
Haha ya it has plenty of life left in it! Or at least it will once I pour some $$$ into it.

Anyone got a good lead on 2.5" YJ leafsprings on the cheap? Emu's don't look terrible but cheap is always great!
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
lcampbell89

Any suggestions on getting the rust off the firewall
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Wire wheel away!! That rust converter from home depot is said to work well too..less mess..
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
lcampbell89

This the one? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...stomer_reviews

Also what suggestions do you have for wire wheel? Don't have anything for it so I guess I will be buying it as well!
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

The reason you have problems with the doors are because those are older Jeep doors (76-81). Those years used the rotary handles. By 83 they were using paddle handles with Nader pins (which I bet were removed on yours). They must rattle like crazy.
HeathFinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.