LED ideas for turn signal indicators? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > LED ideas for turn signal indicators?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

LED ideas for turn signal indicators?

I have looked all over for some cool looking LED's to use as turn signal indicators.. I have found tons, but none I really like.. some are great just
too large or small.

I have created a custom dash, with all autometer gauges, so I lost my indicator
lights, and I hate to ride around with my blinkers on..

Any ideas?

The best I have found, but maybe too big:

LED_Body_Mounts_Lighting

What are y'all's thoughts? I would like one for each turn light, and one for high beams.. preferably blue.

Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

My local oreily's store carries a small LED that just pushes into a drilled hole and it clips itself in. it has no metal housing just a small rounded head that sits on the panel. It's a single LED and comes in different colors. I have used them for blinkers and high beam indicators on custom semi truck dashes before
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Kdozier
1982 CJ7 

look at cole hersee, i will post some pics of my dash with in.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~Bible, John 15:13
Kdozier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Radio Shack sells LED indicators, and I like the ones that are only maybe 1/4" diameter. Later when I'm on my home computer I'll see if I can post a link, my phone won't...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

I got led bulbs for my stock side indicators a few months ago, and they were having big problems with the thermal flashers that stock wiring harnesses have (I'm pretty sure that was part of what caused this) but they were smoking and one of them heated up so bad that it melted itself inside of the plastic lens and still sits there today because it sealed itself in there by melting all of the plastic.

All I can say is dont cheap out on led bulb units and maybe do a little checking over on your wiring and look into whether or not you'll have problems with your flasher units
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

o wait as indicators

sorry I totally misread that

I have some cool ones that are BRIGHT and work great-- the only downside is I still need to find some type of tinted shield for them at night because they are blinding but good during the day

pics coming shortly---
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

Unread 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgump View Post
o wait as indicators

sorry I totally misread that

I have some cool ones that are BRIGHT and work great-- the only downside is I still need to find some type of tinted shield for them at night because they are blinding but good during the day

pics coming shortly---
Maybe hit the tip of the LED with a dremel, grind it flat, it will cause the light to be broken up a bit, rather than being full-strength in your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

I'm trying to get this picture to work I hope you can see it

Unread 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06camarodude View Post
Maybe hit the tip of the LED with a dremel, grind it flat, it will cause the light to be broken up a bit, rather than being full-strength in your face.
It's not so much the lensing that makes it so bright
it's just crazy intensity. plus I like the nice smooth finished look

btw--
more info on the actual leds-- I buy them at advance auto, seen them in red blue green amber and clear, they are polished (i believe stainless) with male spade terminals on rear, they screw on with a nut much like those metal toggle switches only from the rear-- I love they way these leds look
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

here's a different picture of the leds-- they're on the left, and the nut is screwed all the way up (I'm trying to be really accurate and detailed in case you're picky like me)

Unread 10-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Orange LED with Holder - RadioShack.com

They are 5mm, so a little under 1/4". I used them in my Ranger for lighting the Walmart cup holder I put in it.. Not killer bright, but noticeable..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Hey Cutlass.. I bought 2 of the green indicators like the one you show from Radio Shack.. how do you like them? I was looking for something a little better looking (they will stand out like a sore thumb on my flat blue dash) but they are the best I have found.

Jeepgump.. thanks for the pics! How do you like the indicators you have? I like the chrome/stainless look, just haven't been sure about the housing.. seems kind of big and sticks out a lot (not flush).. each has his personal preference..

I probably should't stress out so much about it, but I hate to drill holes in my new dash just to find out I could have had something I like better.. maybe I should put tiny LED's in, so when I find something I like better I can just drill the holes bigger!
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

put up a pic of your dash -that would help

I know the drilling feeling is bad-- I made all of what you see there from scratch and wired it and the rest of the car myself so It's not like just jumping into something is always the best option
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
schultcd

I am looking for the same thing and found some that are made for a Harley Davidson instrument cluster. There are green turn signal indicators and a blue bright light indicator, as well as generic yellow and red lights. Harley-Davidson - Miscellaneous - DennisKirk.com
schultcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
indicator light , LED lights , turn signals with leds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.