Leaning Shackle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaning Shackle

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread Yesterday, 05:52 AM   #1
CJ7Kid

1985 CJ7 

Leaning Shackle

I had the dreaded leaning shackle issue since I got this thing, and I figured the stock springs were the problem seeing how they were sacked out I thought they may be twisted or something. So I just got done putting new springs under it, which also raised it up 2 1/2" and now I still have the shackle issue. I found the axle perches are actually about 3/8" longer than the front shackle hangars. Anybody ever seen this issue? I know the stock shackles are wimpy, but it'll do i no matter what I have on there. So my question is, what would happen if I just enlarge the centering hole in the spring perch enough to get the axle straight? Is that hokey? I'd just open it uo with a die grinder and move it over.
BTW, it drives real nice and I have no issue other than I can't stand to see it like that. Also, of course now my steering wheel isn't centered any more, where is the best place to fix that, the wheel itself, or the steering linkage?

sha1.jpg

img_0503.jpg

CJ7Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You could move the hole, but I would be wanting to fill the void with weld. Don't want any play there or things might shift and snap.

I would highly recommend you give your new suspension a workout before setting the steering wheel as most will settle in and change the wheel setting again. That said, you just loosen off the two bolts on the drag link collar and turn the collar to re-center the steering wheel.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #3
CJ7Kid

1985 CJ7 

Thanks Mike. The passenger side is nice and straight, but for whatever reason, the perches are too wide. I'm thinking it was like that from the factory back in the day. I think I might move the license plate to the drivers side so I can't see it any more and just drive the thing and forget about it.
Unread Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Mine is the same. I gave up and they have worked for the last 14 years like that.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #5
CSP

How about an aftermarket shackle with a bar between the bolts that prevents it from getting racked like the stock shackles?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #6
CJ7Kid

1985 CJ7 

Well I should get better shackles anyway, but the spring doesn't line up with the frame mount so they'll probably just do the same thing. Problem seems to be with the axle and it's spring perch location. So my only option at this point is to grind it off and reattach it in the right place. Winter project.
Unread Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #7
CSP

Measure the distance at all three points (fixed hanger, perch, and shackle hanger) to determing which is off. Each one should be 27.5" from center to center.
Unread Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Measure the distance at all three points (fixed hanger, perch, and shackle hanger) to determing which is off. Each one should be 27.5" from center to center.
I have had 2 frames over my Dana 44, its the perches for sure on mine.
Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #9
Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Kid View Post
Well I should get better shackles anyway, but the spring doesn't line up with the frame mount so they'll probably just do the same thing. Problem seems to be with the axle and it's spring perch location. So my only option at this point is to grind it off and reattach it in the right place. Winter project.
Yep. My rear shackles were both doing the same. New springs, and shackles with a center bar. Kept the same shackle mounts. They're still leaning. I took a good look at 'em, and it looks like the spring perches on the axle are too far out. I might get lucky and have 'it all settle in closer, but if that isn't the case they can stay crooked until I feel like grinding the perches off and setting them right. Which will probably be the same time I go for an SOA setup. Won't be anytime soon lol.
Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #10
CJ7Kid

1985 CJ7 

Yup, mine were a click over 28", it was hard to measure connected to everything. Maybe I could shave the spring eye bushing on one side, and shim the other side, move the spring eye end over a little and straighten it like that until I move the spring pad. It just bothers me to have it leaning like that.
Unread Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #11
CSP

Just a tip for measuring things like that.

I measure "around" stuff like that by dropping a plumb line to the floor and making a mark at the tip of the plumb bob on a piece of tape. Then measure between the marks on the tape at each end.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.