Leaky windshield gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaky windshield gasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
redrenegade1968

Leaky windshield gasket

My 82 Cj-5 has a leaky windshield gasket that I have battled for a while. I replaced the gasket a couple of years ago, and even used a small bead of silicon in doing so. My jeep is garage kept, and the gasket still appears pliable and in good shape. Any ideas on why it may still leak in rain showers??? And what I can try to stop it?

redrenegade1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

where on the inside do you see the leak? is your windshield frame solid or rusted through in spots?

Mike D.
twoleos617 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A couple of things I can think of:

1. Did you silicon both the seal/metal and seal/glass areas?

2. Does the top of your frame have mounting holes for either a soft top, or bikini? When I recently removed my windshield frame, I realized the holes for my bikini channel were allowing water inside the frame, when I run the hardtop and have to remove the channel.

3. Are you sure it's not the cowl seal that's leaking? Mine had leaks at both the glass seal and cowl seal.

Here's a few shots of mine, before and after I painstakingly treated all the rust, and then metal glazed and sanded for paint.

Matt
windshield5.jpg   windshield2.jpg   winshield6.jpg   windshield3.jpg   windshield6.jpg  

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
noahlon
1968 CJ5 

CJ's are equiped with an automatic foot washer!
noahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
redrenegade1968

The leak is directly above the radio, and it has shorted my radio out in the past. Actually, I think that the leak is in the cowl that I replaced. There was not any bad rust when I changed it out, and I THOUGHT I used enough silicon on it...
redrenegade1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

you sure its not a mechanical oil guage leaking and shorting your radio? ask me how i know!!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.