Leaky CJ wet feet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaky CJ wet feet

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-14-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
brownrecluse

Leaky CJ wet feet

Been trying to track down the cause of my jeep leaking water on my feet. The jeep is sealed really well, but water still comes in under the dash.

So far I followed others advice and ran a bead of silicon sealent along the windshield seal, and that got rid of about half of it.

The rest definately seems to be coming through the large vent on the hood, even when the vent knob is closed. I took off the vent cover on the hood, and took off the rubber house that drains it and it was free of any obstruction. When I pour a little bit of water in the vent on the hood, it's fine but if I dump alot like a big down pour it will somehow get through the closed vent valve(whatever its called) that is supposed to keep water from coming in.

Any ideas? It's really annoying driving along with wet feet in the rain!

thanks!

Jeff
84 CJ-7

Unread 07-14-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Mastermind

I have the same problem!! I'd like to hear the responses to this.

(Sorry, I can't help)
Unread 07-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
brownrecluse

Hmmmm....I've heard of others having the same problem. I think, but aren't sure that it's water sneaking in through the same rubber "valve" or whatever that is called that opens and closes to allow the vent to work, ie when you pull out on the vent knob on the dash it will open. Im thinking that since it's a rubber piece in there under the vent on the hood, that that piece may be worn out and not make a perfect seal anymore..

Of course, that's just a guess....

Jeff
Unread 07-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
knifeboy2

Another place that is known to leak is around the heater box. To do the job right you'd need to completely remove the whole system from under the dash and run a bead of silicone around it under it. Pay special attention around the heater motor and vent box.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.