Leaking RMS/Valve cover gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaking RMS/Valve cover gasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Leaking RMS/Valve cover gasket

Pulled my valve cover and scraped off all of the RTV and installed a 7/32 cork felpro gasket this weekend. Was trying to fix my small tick in the valve train. When we went to reinstall it we saw that one of the bolts for the valve cover had been snapped off so we removed that and actually got a new one in. Also, when initially pulling the valve cover we noticed that the triangular clamps were torqued so much that they were bent a little.

Put it all back together with all 7 bolts in and 7 new clamps and drove it home. Later that evening I noticed a few drops of oil in my driveway. I have never had this thing leak a drop of oil in my driveway. I crawled underneath and it looked like it was coming from the RMS but I just dont see that being likely. Is it possible that the PO warped the valve cover and I am not getting a good seal with the valve cover, and that is leaking down making it look like oil is coming from the RMS? I am wondering if this is why he used RTV in the first place?

jdhaas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Short answer: yes. And nearly everybody uses RTV as a sealant for either the oil pan or valve cover. Just a couple of drops? Maybe it's leftover oil, give it a few weeks and check regularly. And don't be ashamed you're leaky - be proud, it's a Jeep.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

i agree it's not likely the RMS decided to leak at the same time you replaced the valve cover gasket. Did you use any sealant on the valve cover gasket??. Have you looked at the rear of the valve cover (slide an inspection mirror in there) and on the top of the bell housing to see if there's any signs of leakage?? Also, clean off any oil leakage so you can better see where it's coming from.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoow View Post
i agree it's not likely the RMS decided to leak at the same time you replaced the valve cover gasket. Did you use any sealant on the valve cover gasket??. Have you looked at the rear of the valve cover (slide an inspection mirror in there) and on the top of the bell housing to see if there's any signs of leakage?? Also, clean off any oil leakage so you can better see where it's coming from.
Used a gasket sealer to get the cork gasket hooked to the valve cover.That is pretty much it. I will clean it up and look at it when I get home from work.
jdhaas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Any tips on fixing a leaking RMS without pulling the engine. Mine is leaking more than I can tolerate.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

You don't have to pull either the engine or the transmission. Most difficult piece is removing an engine mount to get the oil pan out. See here: http://www.neow.net/rms1.html

It's what I followed word for word when I replaced my RMS. First mechanical thing I had ever done, three years ago, and it's only dripped just a little ever since.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.