Leaking carb under throttle body spring. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaking carb under throttle body spring.

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
PowderPig84
1984 CJ7 

Leaking carb under throttle body spring.

I have a gas leak at the throttle body of my carb (84 cj7 258 stock carb). It's where plastic and metal meet just under the large spring that sets the adjustment screws. I can't find a way to pull them apart nor due I see any previous gasket. I cleaned out the inside of the carb and the two screws on the inside so they are not clogged. I was thinking over flow of gas might be getting to the this spot. Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpg  

Man I love to get in over my head
PowderPig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Can you get a closer picture and point to where the leak is? Is it leaking between the carb base and intake manifold? Or from the carb body itself somewhere? If its behind that large spring on he right of the pic it could be a worm throttle shaft. Is it just damp or can you see fuel dripping? If its leaking where the carb joins the intake that gasket looks pretty pooched.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
PowderPig84
1984 CJ7 

Yea the gasket will get replaced. It's a steady drip with the motor running. You can see in this pic the gap between the throttle body and the plastic piece the spring goes around. That's where he leak is. There is not an gasket or rubber ring that I can see and I can't find a screw that tightens the two together.
image.jpg  

Last edited by PowderPig84; 05-05-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Sounds like the throttle shaft needs to be re-bushed then.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
PowderPig84
1984 CJ7 

So you think a bushing goes between the body and plastic piece? Thanks for the help.

Unread 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

No. The throttle shaft passes through the plastic piece piece that the spring is wrapped around and them goes in one side of the carb body and out the other. Thinking the aluminum of the carb body where the shaft rides has worn and fuel is allowed to pass through the body along the throttle shaft and drips out between the plastic part and the body.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.