Leaf springs too short? Bad shackle angle - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-14-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
SBPRERUNNER
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Leaf springs too short? Bad shackle angle

I recently bought and tried to install some Currie Shackles on my CJ7 and this was the result. These are shots of the front. The PO had 6" shackles on it and what I believe to be ProComp 4" lift leafs. They have part number 51412 on them. The old shackles were almost straight up and down. Now with the new ones, I am getting a bad angle. What do you all suggest I do here? I am willing to get new leafs, but want to make sure the new ones will provide the correct shackle angle. I would also like to keep about the same height. These springs measure about 42" from eye to eye. Can anyone suggest longer leafs? Or another plan?

If I do get longer leafs, will that affect the drive shaft at all?

Also, I noticed that a lot of the leafs on the market don't seem to have the length listed. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Attached Images

86 CJ7
258 with Howell Fuel Injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Drop it on the ground and drive around and flex it. I have seen shackle stick in the assembled position and then go back to their normal position after being driven on. It looks like you have that jack under the frame and the axle drooped on the spring, if so, doing this will give you the shackle angle you see.

Also, most spring companies use the factory main leaf length and then give it a larger arch giving a bad shackle angle/less eye-eye length. Eye to eye length is dependent on the weight you put on the springs and how they flatten out. There is no way for the manufacturer to list that number without receiving a bunch of complaints/comments on the measurement not being what is stated once installed.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 27 Old 08-14-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
SBPRERUNNER
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thank you for the reply. The shot of the shackle was when it was it was not jacked up, the axle is resting on jack stands. I will finish up the install and re-evaluate. Any suggestions if it ends up looking the same? Also, is there any downside to the shackles going back towards the inside of the vehicle as pictured?

86 CJ7

post #4 of 27 Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Supposedly a rougher ride as the shackle must pass over center as the spring compresses. Of course with a pro comp lift, you probably won't notice it over the already harsh ride.... We pulled the bottom leaf from the pro comps on dad's 7 and the shackles go slightly forward and the ride is a bit better.

post #5 of 27 Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM
HillbillyCJ7

There's definitely something wrong. Even if it had longer shackles the angle wouldn't change. Is the shackle mount in the correct spot? Without walking out to my Jeep to look (it's hot out) maybe your mount is in the wrong spot (too far forward).
post #6 of 27 Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
SBPRERUNNER
1985 CJ7 

Garage
I was thinking it may be too far forward, but from everything else I have seen online they are in the correct stock location. I will snap a picture tonight to confirm.

86 CJ7
post #7 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 AM
jdhuffcj5
1979 CJ5 

Leaf springs too short? Bad shackle angle

Is that a Jim Crabtree or other aftermarket spring hanger? If so, maybe the PO converted things over to YJ springs by moving the hanger forward from the stock location? If so, any of the CJ leafs you try may be too short. I think YJ leafs are about and inch longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

I have the same issue. Just did a frame replacement and went with a Rubicon Express 4" lift. I bought the Warrior front shackle mounts and it appears that the mount is .75" forward from the stock mount. I may end up taking the mounts back off and welding up the holes and re drilling them fit back on in the stock location. I have the same issue with the back also. I do not have the body on yet so I am waiting to see if they drop any. Right now as it sits with just the drive train in the frame I have almost 6" of lift from where it was before and I thought it had a 4" lift then. Hopefully these will loosen up some. I can jump on the frame and the springs do not even budge. The tape in the pic was with everything on the old springs that are now on the new and it comes out at 24.5". I hope it settles some.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC16182.jpg   SDC16255.jpg   SDC16274.jpg   SDC15789.jpg  
post #9 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 AM
fromme

1977 CJ7 

Well you are missing a couple thousand pounds so there's nothing you can really do about it until you get it to its fighting weight.

OP is either going to need to use shorter shackles, move a hanger, or get better springs. That shackle is trying to invert itself so it will ride horrible and probably invert if you take it off road.

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion."
post #10 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 AM
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

The body is fiberglass but the grill is steel. Seats are fiberglass buckets. Hopefully the weight of that will move it some.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

OP, Make sure the shackle bolts are not too tight and binding the shackles. I would try driving the Jeep on some uneven ground to flex the suspension to get things to settle before resortng to any modification.. Hopefully that will make a difference.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
OP is either going to need to use shorter shackles, move a hanger, or get better springs. That shackle is trying to invert itself so it will ride horrible and probably invert if you take it off road.
Shorter shackles won't help anything on this issue. Very little chance of it inverting the shackle. Those springs are so stiff they won't droop enough to get the shackle past inline with the main spring leaf.

The best fix is a spring pack with less arch or have the main leaf replaced with one longer and keep the current arch. A longer spring will yield a bit more lift height though keeping the current arch.

The biggest issue is, you shouldn't run a main leaf that is longer that the distance from the fixed hanger to the end of the shackle is its most forward position. You do not want to bind up and bend the main leaf when you run out of travel. That is why the shackle will lean back when you get to a higher arched spring pack, they are using the factory spec main leaf length.

post #13 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
SBPRERUNNER
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Take a look at the pictures below. This appears to be the stock location for the shackle mounts. I have the shackle bolt loose enough and they move when jacked up. They are definitely not YJ springs as they are only 2" wide. The 2nd picture here is of the drivers side with the original longer shackle on.

I will probably be finishing up the drivers side driving on it later this week. Hopefully settles, but just seeing how far off it is from leaning forward, I dont think it will.

If I was to buy new springs, can anyone recommend longer springs that would offer about 4" of lift over stock?
Attached Images

86 CJ7
post #14 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 PM
CSP

Why does the main leaf at the fixed spring eye look bent? Perhaps that's standard issue with Pro Crap springs.

post #15 of 27 Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM
jdhuffcj5
1979 CJ5 

I think you are correct. That does look like the factory mounting location for the hanger. Just went out and looked at mine.

Also my BDS springs are slightly bent at the fixed eye mount. I believe that is probably how they all are.

So have you dropped it to the ground and let all the weight rest on it yet?

When I did my lift I snugged all the bolts down but did not tighten to the torque specs. After I got it on the ground with all the weight I torqued the u bolts and the fixed eye bolt. Left the shakle bolts just barely snug. Drove around for a bit then tightened the shackle bolts to the 24 ft lbs recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.