are leaf springs supposed to separate when the car is jacked? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > are leaf springs supposed to separate when the car is jacked?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
fishtruck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

are leaf springs supposed to separate when the car is jacked?

Dumb question.....

The back end drivers side of my 1986 CJ is sagging a little. The springs are 1988 YJ springs (SOA lift with revolver shackles).

I just jacked it up, and noticed the leafs are all separating, with a gap of about 1/8 inch or more between each one.

Is there supposed to be a bracket or retainer to hold them together?

fishtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

They usually have a clip or two about midway between the axle and the shackle... More to hold them in line rather than together. Mine have been broken/gone for years now... The ubolts around the axle keep them from getting to far out of line.

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtruck View Post
Dumb question.....

The back end drivers side of my 1986 CJ is sagging a little. The springs are 1988 YJ springs (SOA lift with revolver shackles).

I just jacked it up, and noticed the leafs are all separating, with a gap of about 1/8 inch or more between each one.

Is there supposed to be a bracket or retainer to hold them together?
As long as the leaves don't get misaligned within the pack (which is why the clips exist,) it's not a problem. I've seen the leaves separate on a number of vehicles when jacking by the chassis, no problem.

Worst case? I've had to tap the leaves back in line with the main and find clips to apply, because they were missing.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yep, my new OME springs will seperate enough to stick my finger between when it just has the weight of the axle on it, no tires or shocks. I believe the softer riding springs will do this more than the stiffer ones do.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.