Leaf Spring Lift over Axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaf Spring Lift over Axle

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:06 AM   #1
SeaneRc

Leaf Spring Lift over Axle

Got a question for anybody that has done this before, because I sure haven't. I have a 85 CJ-7 and want to do a spring over axle lift. How much lift can I obtain from doing this and what are some of the parts that I am going to have to change to deal with the added height. (for example steering, clutch rod, etc.)

Unread 05-30-2002, 01:20 PM   #2
yj7redlion

Not to sound like a jerk but if you go under the serch topic under post a stament and enter soa for cj7 or something similar it will provide you with all the posts that relate to that subject. Also if you go back a few more days i did respond to the subject. but anyway. You shoudl expect abotu 5.5" of height out of this. You may need 4 purchases, u-bolts, drop pitman arm, t-case lower braket, extended brak lines, weld on shock mounts, and new shocks. you will need at least 2 perches, we actually cut my rear off and rewelded them. you must have the weld on shock mounts added because the spring plates more much closer to your mounts. Also i am not sure if your year of cj had the taller shock mounts int he front but i added those to mine. all and all you shoudl look to spend about $200-500 depending on what you have, can reuse and have to buy. hope this helps.
Unread 05-30-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
Gr8lite

Check out the "Tech" section at this board. There
has been a heated discussion about SOA. We are going to do 2 CJ7 SOA's this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes.
<a href="http://www.northeastonlinewheelers.org/yabbse/" target="_blank">http://www.northeastonlinewheelers.org/yabbse/</a>
Unread 05-31-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
SeaneRc

Most definentely let me know how it goes and all of the parts you had to replace and the cost that was involved. Thanks
Unread 05-31-2002, 10:50 PM   #5
cj7traildriver

Few things to keep in mind if you do a spring over. Axle wrap so will want to address that. also keep the caster angle of your ball joints, pinion angel to transfer case angles. driveshaft length, you wont need to worry about shifting linkage but will need to worry about steering linkage and your track bar will need to keep parallel to your drag link. You will gain a good deal of lift doing this and be able to fit good sized tires, so will also have to think about gear changes. Lots to think about even axle swapps should be considered since the dana 30 and amc 20 arent the strongest.Warn makes stronger axles and full float mods for the amc 20 and same with dana 30 front also dana 35 rear if you have one by chance. Well anyways food for thought check out peoples projects what they have run into etc.Hope this helped

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.