Leaf Spring Caster Shims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaf Spring Caster Shims

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
josh86k10
1985 CJ7 

Leaf Spring Caster Shims

I recently purchased a beautiful '85 CJ7 (258/T176/D300/D30/AMC20 and my very first non-XJ Jeep). The PO installed what appears to be a 1.75" shackle lift with 31's. Unfortunately, funds are a bit tight until I recover from the initial vehicle purchase. While I am not a fan of the shackle lift and will eventually install a proper 2.5" spring lift, fixing the caster angle inexpensively is priority right now.

My current caster angle is 0.7 degrees negative. So, I need a 6 degree shim to be within factory specifications.

Without getting into a debate about the safety of axle shims in general, is a 6 degree shim pushing it? Seems like it will be a pretty thick shim. Should I go with a 4 degree shim and just get in the ball park or go ahead with the 6 degree shim? Obviously, I am referring to a steel shim which is incorporated into the leaf pack via the center pin. I will also be replacing the u-bolts.

josh86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

There are other ways to change caster but if you're set on shims, use steel shims, get new (longer) centering pins, and bolt the shims into the spring pack.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
josh86k10
1985 CJ7 

I realize that repositioning the perches or rotating the knuckles are better options for a permanent solution. However, as I eventually plan to replace this somewhat sketchy shackle lift, I need something easily reversible and inexpensive.

I do not believe that shims are inherently dangerous when incorporated into the leaf pack; however, I do feel that there is probably a limit to how thick one should go due to altered forces on the center pin (it will now be "clamping" an angled surface; I have seen people shim both sides of the spring opposite one another to alleviate this abnormal force). My question relates to whether or not a 6 degree shim up front is approaching or exceeding this theoretical limit.

In short, assuming you think degree shims are safe, do you think 6-degree shims are safe?

Last edited by josh86k10; 10-22-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

maybe I misunderstand your description, but I thought the spec. was 5 degrees positive witch would imply a 12 degree shim?
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
josh86k10
1985 CJ7 

factory spec is 5-7 degrees positive. I am currently at 0.7 degrees negative.

-0.7 + 6 = 5.3
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Steel shims are considerably thinner than aluminum and I wouldn't recommend aluminum for any reason (front or rear).

I used 10* shims in the rear before I completely rebuilt the CJ, but I sheared the centering pin and the spring pack started coming apart. I relocated the perches when I rebuilt it.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

I would replace the shackles with near-stock length to improve your caster and deal with whatever flare rubbing that ensues until you get your 2.5" lift.

The other option I would consider (while I hate body lifts in general) is stock shackle length and a 1" body lift. No more.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I agree. I really don't like shims. Use a 1" body lift and the standard shackle.

BTW... to get 1.75" of lift from the shackle they'd have to be 3.5" longer than stock.

Unread 10-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
BTW... to get 1.75" of lift from the shackle they'd have to be 3.5" longer than stock.
Correct. I misspoke.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.