Leaf to coil conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Leaf to coil conversion

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
jricketts67
1980 CJ5 

Leaf to coil conversion

Is it a good investment?

What else has to be upgraded to go along with a coil setup on a cj?

Educate me on the process

jricketts67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Define "good". What conditions are you 4wheeling in that leaf springs won't do the job for you ? Why do you want to to make the mod ? What is your budget ? What are your fabrications skills and power tool access ? Have you done any reading and research on the topic ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
jricketts67
1980 CJ5 

Iv read a little not enough to be an expert... My mechanic skills are pretty good... Welding and fab are ok. I just was wondering
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wondering what ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
jricketts67
1980 CJ5 

Wondering the previously stated questions about coil conversions
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why would you want to switch from leaf springs to coil springs though? Ride quality?

In reality most jeeps don't have bad suspensions from the factory. Most jeeps with quality springs and shocks and good steering geometry etc. will ride and drive pretty nice.

The only thing I would change to from factory suspension is Coilovers vs coils. They simplify things somewhat by putting the spring and shock in the space of one unit, but even then you have to come up with control arms generally 3-4 on the front and usually 4 on the rear.

With all that said yes you can, but why do you want to?

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is your current suspension lift ? What conditions are you 4wheeling in that leaf springs won't do the job for you ? Why do you want to to make the modification ? What is your budget ?

Define "good". If you spend $5000 on a coil conversion you won't be able to sell your Jeep for $5000 extra.

Are you going to build your own, or buy a $3000 conversion kit ? You will probably need new drive shafts.

If you have to have to ask such basic questions, maybe you shouldn't be considering the conversion.

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
jricketts67
1980 CJ5 

I'm just looking to learn a little about them
From people who have done it to their jeeps and liked it... Not sure I wanna do it
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Coil springs will improve the off-road capabilities of your CJ. If you have the skills required or the budget, go for it.

Unread 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricketts67 View Post
Is it a good investment?

What else has to be upgraded to go along with a coil setup on a cj?

Educate me on the process
I think the first thing you need to learn is nothing on a jeep is a "good investment" .

As for your questions, any additional upgrades are determined by what you intend to do with your Jeep. You could do a coil or coil over conversion and leave everything else stock if you only do mild wheeling. But if you are into rock crawling or plan to put a V8 in there you will want to upgrade other components at the same time or some of the fab work involved will need to be done twice (= more time & $). As mentioned, more info from you is required to give more advice on other upgrades to do at the same time.

As for the process itself, it involves welding coil buckets on the frame and axles (or in the case of coil overs, mounting brackets) and some manner of locating the axles (3 link, 4 link etc.) If you are planning to do this on your own research the snot out of it. It's not as simple as welding everything together and driving it. There are calculations that need to be done to ensure the links are mounted in the proper positions or the handling charteristics and overall suspension performance can suffer greatly. Most people that do this are trying to get the most out of their Jeeps off road. Spending the time and $ to convert it only to have it perform at less than what it is capable of would be pointless.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Can someone with skills do it... sure.

In addition to knowing what parts you can buy to make the links, spring buckets, bracketry, et.al., here is a whole series of questions you'll need to know the answers to before you start.

Do you know all the components of a coil and link suspension?
Do you know what all the components do?
Do you know how to set up the front suspension angle to manage dive/anti-dive characteristics?
Do you want how to set up the rear suspension angle to manage squat/anti-squat characteristics?
Will you get premade components?

Then before you install anything, you're going to have to decide what type of link system you're going to use, measure, use suspension angle design tools, mock up and test fitment, then finally install.

I thought about the conversion when I did my frame up rebuild 4 years ago but decided the simplicity of the leaf springs was not outweighed by any suspension performance improvement I'd get.

I have some suspension basics in the article in my signature block. It won't tell you how to build one but it will illustrate the differences between leaf and coil plus the various common coil and link setups.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I looked at doing it on mine. The place that had done some previously used LJ coils all around, and built heim mounted control arms. You would also need adjustable track bars front and rear. The shop wanted $5,500 to do it. I decided that was bull**** and did the OME YJ to CJ conversion. They flex pretty damn good for a leaf spring....in fact anything bigger than a 32" tire won't work out due to the flex in the rear.
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.