Layed it on its side... what now - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Layed it on its side... what now

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Layed it on its side... what now

Ok so i unfortunately managed to put my jeep on its side. We quickly pushed it back on its wheels and it started back up fine but i need to know where to start in making sure all my points are covered in where to check for any common/ possible issues before taking it to freewsy speeds and making a bad week worse. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
brian613
1977 CJ5 

change the engine oil top off all fluids and roll on...

project roadkill
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Lol... well of couse. I mean it is a JEEP. took its nap like a champ. But i also use it as a daily driver and pile my loved ones in it. I just need to ensure safety. On the drive out i seem to have what sounded like a wheel bearing clicking, oil loss from the top end of course though no leaks otherwise, havent been able to inspect through the gears yet but hope my sh*tty T5 lives on for now. I guess my question is what are some of the common issues any of you have had and where can i expect to find damage besides the new character its recieved.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
CSP

Never had any damage after going over other than lotsa smoke for a while. I will turn an engine over by hand before starting to make sure that it's not hydrolocked and that's about it.

Laying it on its side generally isn't a big deal unless all of the weight is resting on a part like a hub. If you have an obvious noise, look to see where it's coming from and inspect the parts. Not much more you can do to eliminate any and all possibilities.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

been there....done that!!

New windshield, windshield frame, new hood, new rollbar, pad, and both door uppers! Check levels and press on!! Nothing but a little top end lube (smokes out in a couple hours)!!
cj.jpg  

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
draperjojo
1984 CJ7 

change the fluids???...hell, roll it on the other side so its evened out...
draperjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Whether you damaged it depends on how fast you were going at the time.

If it was a gentle roll and there is no broken glass then it is unlikely anything else is badly bent.

However you should still have a look at the frame and the bits that are hanging off it. If you get under with a long (metre at least) steel rule you can look at how straight the frame is. I find a stringline is useful in this regard, strung from front to back underneath, held off from the greasy bits and pulled tight. Anywhere you measure should have the same distance either side.If you set it at both ends equidistant from the frame then it should be so down the whole length.

If the frame is straight then have a look at the mounting points for the suspension and steering. If they look OK then have a look at all the suspension components for signs of being bent, broken etc.

Finally you could get the alignment checked at a shop.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If it was on it side for a long period of time, pull the plugs and crank it over to clear the cylinders. If you don't, since oil does not compress, you will end up bending a couple of connecting rods.

My latest view of the underside....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Check fluids and drive. I rolled my first cj on its top about a mile from home. Had spme buddies come and flip it over and I drove it home. The next day on my way to work you want to talk about smokin!!! I had about five stop lights and at everyone of them I smoked everybody out. After all was said and done I added a couple qts of oil and a little bit of gear oil.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

OP="We quickly pushed it back on its wheels and it started back up fine". So no hydrolock, probably leaked down, but change every fluid ASAP! Can you spare an hours worth of frame rack time? Up on the lift, use a crowbar to pull on some parts checking for loose stuff. Eyeball everything. Especially tie rods, spring mounts, spring eyes, shackles and if the wheels were turned check the steering box mounts for cracks.
On my 1st rollover, I bent the frame at the Pass side front kick-up. Didn't notice it when changing to the glass body. Until I got a new frame did I detect it.
Got pics? Good luck!
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

simply on it's side

engine/trans mounts/battery/ possibly leaf spring attach points and steering components. IMO the fluids should be fine, i guess the reason experienced jeepers are adviseing it is because possible metal chips/debris that normally settle in the bottom of the trans/diffs can be moved back into the gears/bearings.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
So no hydrolock, probably leaked down, but change every fluid ASAP!
Change every fluid? For what reason? Gear oils don't get damaged or contaminated just because it went over.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633
been there....done that!!

New windshield, windshield frame, new hood, new rollbar, pad, and both door uppers! Check levels and press on!! Nothing but a little top end lube (smokes out in a couple hours)!!
That look bad did it take a lot of work to get back to good again? I'm always scared of Rollin my cj5 it means a lot to me
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Not so much work, just money.......

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

aaaahh four get a bout it. I store my Jeep on it's side in the garage all the time. Doesn't effect the engine at all!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.