Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Laughable Ebay auctions

248K views 2K replies 360 participants last post by  Fourtrail 
#1 ·
These threads pop up often here, so I thought maybe there would be some value in confining them to one thread.

I'll start it off with this $26,000 gem with a rusty valve cover, exposed wiring, unpainted aluminum tub, and the thing I hate the most; "...WAY TOO MUCH TO LIST!!!"

Oh, for $26K you also get:

-Working Wipers
-Working Head Lights
-Working Tail Lights
-Working Turn Signals

Not a horrible Jeep (if you can accept the color scheme), but not worth the asking price by any means.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160615771718

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
honestly!!!!

i saw a fully restored cj7 in my area for 6k the dude did it up and had too many toys

#4 ·
My favorite is the "almost $5000.00 paint job" and the tub isn't even painted.

After seeing the engine... I can't help but wonder what the qualifications of "has been turned into a show quality rock-crawler" is.

I'm really surprised he didn't say that it has keyless entry.

#8 ·

Attachments

#9 ·
#13 ·
here is a pretty funny one I came across today on ebay...

Jeep CJ CJ5

Fiberglass Tub Hood and Fenders: Over $6000 with all hardware
Custom aftermarket heater: $1000
Cragar rims and huge tires: $1500
Besttop top brand new: $800
Bikini Top: $50
Besttop new Doors: $350
Custom Roll Cage: $1200
Besttop custom seats. new condition $450
Much More
Total Value in parts alone:11350

I think it's pretty funny when the seller can't even list what his actual tire size is and just sais HUGE. All his prices for upgrades are pushing the limits of the high side. His custom roll cage that cost him $1200... man he really got ripped off on that one. :laugh:

#14 ·
..All his prices for upgrades are pushing the limits of the high side. His custom roll cage that cost him $1200... man he really got ripped off on that one. :laugh:
Yep. Anyone who has followed CJs, or probably any old vehicle with a following, knows that you rarely get out of them what you put into them. Ads like that always tell me that the seller has no understanding of the market.

#17 ·
You can't touch a nicely done CJ around me for under 6k. A rust bucket runs about 2k, every now and then you'll come across a great deal.

#20 ·
For only US $21,450.00, you too can have a shot at this one. As a rare added bonus, it has 4 wheel drive and removeable face stereo! wow!!

As shown in the photos below, you also get a residential water cutoff valve, electrical tape, and some rust on the brake booster ("totally restored", of course):
"Interior color: Black

TOTALLY RESTORED INSIDE AND OUT!! 1981 CJ8 JEEP SCRAMBLER
ONLY 3000 MADE RARE FIND!!!!!!
GARAGE KEPT- ONLY 7100 MILES
RESTORED-258 CU IN MOTOR
4 SPEEDS PLUS 4 WHEEL DRIVE
NEW TIRES, RIMS AND SEATS
BRAND NEW KENWOOD 160 AMP SYSTEM WITH CD,BLUETOOTH READY , I POD CONNECT (AUX CABLE NEEDED), WITH A REMOTE, AM-FM-FM2 , REMOVABLE STEREO FACE!!
ALL MANUALS AND PAPER WORK
HIGH QUALITY ALARM SYSTEM, VIBRATION/MOVEMENT ACTIVATED!

EXTRA EXTRA! ! !
4 TOPS INCLUDED PLUS 3 SETS OF DOORS !
NEW EXTRA PARTS AND ALLOYS"
It looks like the seller is also throwing in a door, custom painted in back, guaranteed not to match the orange paint job. Maybe one of the other 2 sets of doors matches.

Attachments

#23 ·
No luck after so many months

This seller has been posting this CJ-5 auction over and over for several months, always with the same $10,000 price. Here's the pile of parts you get for $10,000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250862042059

YOUR LOOKING AT A FULLY CUSTOM JEEP. THE ONLY THING THAT ARE STILL ORIGINAL ARE THE VIN TAGS AND THE TITLE.

BODY IS FIBERGLASS ALONG WITH THE ONE PIECE FRONT TILT HOOD. WINDSHIELD FRAME IS GLASS ALSO. INTERIOR I HAVE ALL NEW SEATS FRONT AND BACK. FRONT ARE SUSPENSION AND BUILT FOR 5 POINT HARNESS. REAR IS JUST A REPLACEMENT. NEW CENTER CONSOLE. CUSTOM ROLL BAR. ALL STAINLESS HARDWARE. FLAMING RIVER STEERING COLUMN = POLISHED. COMPACTED HEATER BOX. LED LIGHTING FOR REAR. ALL NEW LAMPS FOR FRONT. H4 HEADLAMP CONVERSIONS. HANSEN FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS. RAM ASSIST STEERING. FOX COILOVER SUSPENSION. CUSTOM 4 LINK IN FRONT AND 3 LINK AND BACK. FRONT AXLE IS A DANA 44 AND THE REAR IS A GM 14 BOLT. 44 INCH SUPER SWAMPERS ARE ON WELD RIMS. DAUL YELLOW TOP BATTERIES ARE INSTALL UNDERNEATH BY GAS TANK. GAS TANK IS PLASTIC. ON BOARD AIR SYSTEM. BUSHWACKER FLARES. UNDER THE HOOD IS A BALANCED AND BLUEPRINTED CHEVY 454 BORED .060" OVER. THE ENGINE IS FULL OF EVERY BELL AND WHISTLE YOU CAN THINK OF. A WORLD CLASSS T-150 AND A DANA 20 TWIN STICK WRAP UP THE DRIVETRAIN. COMES WITH A SUB AND AMPS THAT I WANTED TO INSTALL MADE BY KICKER. ALL PARTS ARE NEW. MOST STILL IN BOXES. THIS HAS NOT BEEN ON THE ROAD SINCE BUILDUP. LOST INTREST. HAVE DOULBE INVEST IN THIS JEEP AND HAVE THE RECIEPTS TO PROVE IT. THERE IS MORE THAT COMES WITH JEEP, BUT I CANNOT THINK OF IT. CALL ME OR MAIL ME IF INTRESTED, ITS A MUST SEE.

PARTS STILL NEEDED TO FINISH=

CARB, RADIATOR AND FAN, STEERING LINKAGE, DRIVESHAFTS, GAUGE SET AND SOME MISC. EVERYTHING ELSE I HAVE​

There are probably some good parts there, but if you've had to takers after several months, it's probably time to start dropping the price.

Attachments

#32 ·
#24 ·
heh.. the engine is "THE ENGINE IS FULL OF EVERY BELL AND WHISTLE YOU CAN THINK OF.." but it's missing the carburertor. That's an important part but maybe not considered an official part of an engine?

#27 ·
That's really ugly. You have to admire the seller's honesty and his apparent ability to have built the thing though. It would be interesting to know what the reserve price is, because in my opinion that's what could make it laughable or not. If the seller wants $25,000 for it, then that's a joke. $3,000 might be more reasonable.

#35 ·
Starting bid :hahaha: $18,000.00 With lots of chrome also... Looks like the winner has to pay for the shipping from Puerto Rico

]
And here is the Master of Chrome himself.

It is unclear if those are stainless or chromed leaf springs but they sure are pretttttty. Face it, these are not the worst mods ever seen on a Jeep, nothing a bit of trail dust would not hide (OK maybe a lot of trail mud)

Attachments

#34 ·
i look at ebay almost everyday. mainly just because i like to see what other people have done to their cjs yjs and tjs (i like jeeps). most of them are over priced. have you noticed how many yuppy i call them jeeps there are? ok some people shouldnt be able to own a jeep. i may be one of those people for what i have done to mine but its not a real cj anyway. i can see having 20k in a jeep if you buy all the aftermarket stuff like the crazy overpriced 3 and 4k dana 60's and so on and then pay some one to build it. you can spend a ton on premade brakets if you really want. right? if you cant do most of the work or at least some of it its gonna get pricey. you gotta be crazy to put 20k into a jeep or to give it for one. i dont think a true jeeper is ever happy with a bought jeep. we all have to do our own thing to them. right? oh and the vette jeep. somebody needs to be shot..im just sayin

#42 ·
Hey at least you can assume you will never see it in the US. I doubt anyone would pay that price then pay the cost to ship it over here

#43 ·
Well, think of it this way: If that is exactly what you want in a Jeep, then that's a great deal, even if you had to ship it to the US, because you could never come close to building that Jeep for 18k.

That's why I don't understand people trying to claim "no Jeep is worth 10k" and such.
Sure they are. Lots of them are. Being a "Jeep person" doesn't automatically mean you can/should do everything yourself....some people can't or have nowhere to do that. So they have to pay someone.

If you can get a kickass Jeep that's 85-90% of your "ideal" Jeep for 10-15k, I say it's easily worth it. (assuming your ideal Jeep isn't a rusted out beater to thrash on the trails)

If someone has taken the time to break a vehicle down to the frame, and fixed everything....rust, etc, and done lots of mods, etc......how can anyone say their Jeep isn't worth 15-20k?

Look at Fatman's Jeep. Look at Keith460's Jeep. Either of those dudes could get 20k for theirs, easily, IMO.

Some folks here seem to think that no matter what you do to a Jeep, they're only worth so much. Not true.
They seem to think that if you buy a Jeep for say, 4k, and it's truly a 4k Jeep, that no matter what you bolt on it, it's still a 4k Jeep. Wrong, and they are proven wrong every day, when people buy those types of Jeeps for double that.

Hell, if old Camaros in nice shape are worth 20k now, why aren't nice Jeeps worth that? Takes just as much work to make the Jeep nice. That work is worth something....might not get every penny you spent, but if a guy goes out and spends 25k to duplicate Fatman's ride, you can't tell me that Jeep is only worth 8k, simply because "it's a Jeep".

Quite honestly, I think everyone here that has a nice Jeep that they've put time and effort like that into should be insulted, because to say a Jeep that has 25k or more in it, PLUS their labor, isn't worth anywhere near that much is essentially saying their labor was worth nothing.

Reactions: jtfox
#46 ·
Pacman Web is 100%, its a Jeep that's why these things go for the bucks.And a fact is especially the CJ how many are out there that are rust free,low miles,factory? {My '81 Scrambler Larado 32,000 orig. miles}Or modified with Low gears,SM 420 Dana 300,big engine,big axles,big lift and big tires and big beadlocks{My '80 CJ7} that $15,000 or $20,000 price couldnt get these 2 because there JEEP'S. I think there underpriced myself considering the 18Ga. single wall rust loving pot metal the made the body with that has survived 20 to 30 years { My '75 CJ5} and that crappy wiring and the lack of good heat or air { My '66 Jeepster Commando} the fact that the Ford pinto was more dependable LOL! But you dont see people paying $10 grand for a pinto.Each Jeep has its own personality being their DNA comes from what use to be the Big 4? Hell, Jeeps are the Mutt of the Auto world and a true Jeep man Knows you dont buy a Jeep you BUILD a Jeep and this is what makes them so great.$$$$$$$$$ Cant buy one of the 7 Jeeps I have including the 79 rust bucket CJ5 I like better than the rest of his brothers its still a Jeep!!!!........Coldsteel 187

#52 ·
This "completely rebuilt" '76 is up for auction again, starting at $16,000 with a Buy It Now price of $20,000:

Among other things, this Jeep features:

-Working Wipers
-Working Head Lights
-Working Tail Lights
-Working Turn Signals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160634507914

For $16 to $20K, I'd better get a newly painted valve cover and no exposed wires. Geez..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.