Late model CJ 5 Frame measurements - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Late model CJ 5 Frame measurements

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Racer268
1980 CJ5 

Late model CJ 5 Frame measurements

I bought a 1980 CJ 5. Turns out, the frame is bent. Looks like someone bought a wreck and installed a fiberglass body without straightening the frame. I think at the very least that I'm dealing with a 1 inch diamond on the drives side. Right now, I've stripped it to the bare chassis and strung a datum line down the middle. I can't detect any bananna bends and there are no kinks. The problem is that the rear springs splay outward so far that they won't connect with the frame rail now that I've installed new shackles. The old shackles were bent badly. My frame shop buddies tell me that they want spec's. from a KLM manual before they start trying to bend the frame back into shape. So far we can't find those spec's. There are other spec's around for the CJ frames, but they aren't detailed enough. Can anyone help with the KLM spec's? I'm burning daylight and want to get this thing back in one piece.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Racer268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
syphonation
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Might want to print this out. It's on somebody's Photobucket account, so it may disappear without notice.
syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Racer268
1980 CJ5 

Thanks,

This is exactly the one I have. I'm told that the KLM spec's include more measurements. Any frame guys out there?
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Racer268
1980 CJ5 

O.K. What I need is measurement K on the spec sheet in post two. Maybe someone with a bare frame available would double check it for me. If you can, please measure inside to inside on the rails, and then at the body mount holes go from the outside to outside of the hole. I think mine has been squished in that area.

Thanks
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This is an old thread... can anybody say what the outcome was?

What I'm reading online is that if my frame is bent up to an inch that it may still be in an acceptable CJ5 spec, and not worth trying to have straightened.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any driving, steering issues?

Thanks

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
CSP

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that an inch off is acceptable. It may be, but maybe not. Depends highly on where that 1" is off. An inch can be detrimental to tire wear and handling if it's in the right spot.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Racer268
1980 CJ5 

I never did get the measurement but I'm now within 1/4 inch of square using the tram guage. Aside from the frame being diamond, my biggest issue turned out to be the rear spring mounts. They were so twisted that the springs wouldn't line up in back. I replaced them, pushed the the diamond out, and everything lined up as it should. My Jeep now handles way better that it did. It's actually fun to drive now.

FYI,

I couldn't get a frame shop to touch it. No one wanted to work on a 30 year old frame. Too much liability they all said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.