Last Minute Ignition/Alternator wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Last Minute Ignition/Alternator wiring

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Last Minute Ignition/Alternator wiring

I have been using a wiring diagram to upgrade my 1977 prestolite to an 82 Duraspark using parts from a donor jeep. I'm fairly confident with this swap as drawn. I run into a problem when I also want to upgrade my alternator to the Delco that also came with the donor. The factory diagrams for each vehicle don't Jibe so its hard to trace. Namely the brown resistor wire from the delco ends at a terminal block on the factory diagram. The Motorola Alternator wiring remains intact with its external voltage regulator. The Diagram for the duraspark upgrade uses this voltage regulator. Am I to understand that the delco alternator is internally regulated? If so , Do I need to lose the original voltage regulator and the accompanied wiring? If so , my ignition swap diagram goes to S**t. I Have searched in vain for the JeepHammer/Junkyardgenius alternator swap diagrams that spell this out. I understand that I could use a resistor /diode in place of the resistor wire. Part#? or what to ask the parts man for. Its Late here, Maybe some of you guys out west can answer this or point me in some direction/link.

wiring-jeep.jpg

Unread 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Here is a poor attempt to ask an seemingly easy question. The Alternator is a "One poster " OE from the 82 I THINK. Im having trouble with posting a picture because the file is too large and its too late in the evening and my eyes are too bleary to figure it out.
alternator.jpg  
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Wolf,

It appears The Hammer's "Junkyard Genius" website, with all his handy diagrams, no longer exists. Bummer.

I'll take a stab at your question, but be forewarned, electrical is NOT my forte'. Hopefully John Strenk will chime in....

The Delco alternator is internally regulated, so the old external regulator and related wiring goes away. Below is the best diagram I could find of the Delco wiring. Note, this diagram shows the #2 sensing wire looping back to the battery terminal on the alternator. This article indicates that this configuration is OK, but not ideal. Instead, they suggest to run the sensing wire from #2 to the + terminal post on the solenoid.

Hope this helps,

Matt
2wirediagram.gif

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Thanks Matt, This Helps . Off to work , but at least I can buy the diode now . With the external voltage regulator gone, I just need to hook up the resistor wire correctly. sorry for the wordy post it was late and I was frustrated.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You might want to pick up a fusible link, as well.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

I have hooked up the wiring as per accompanied drawing. While fooling with some dash wires and headlights etc. the key was left in the run position and the resistor pot became Extremely hot. I s this normal? Would some Wiring Guru please check this diagram to see where the mistakes lie , if any. My jeep is wired exactly as shown here. The alternator has not been wired to a dedicated ground. Is this absolutely necessary or just a good idea. I am a day or so from trying to fire this POS and am concerned about that resistor pot burning up or frying the ignition box or something else. Thanks for taking the time to look.
alternator-wires.jpg  
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The ballast resistor getting really hot when the ignition is ON but the engine is not running is "normal" .

What you don't realize is that the ignition module is also overheating.. This is what kills the ignition module.

The alternator needs some way of grounding either through a dedicated ground or through several layers of rust and paint.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Thank you Mr. Strenk. Someday this kind of stuff may be "old hat" for me but for now its a bit dicey. Amazing how a mismatched collection of old parts gets under my skin.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.