Laredo rocker trim bolt layout - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Laredo rocker trim bolt layout

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Also any tricks on getting the old sliders out of the rocker molding channel? A few of mine seem frozen/rusted in there and won't budge. I don't want to mess up the molding, thanks.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

Okay, my 86 has 5 holes, all 1/2" from the bottom edge. Measuring from forward edge of the rear tire fender well, the first three bolts are 5 1/2", 15 3/8", and 25" on center. Remember all measurements are from the fender well, not distance between bolts. The two remaining bolts are measured from the rear edge of the front tire fender well; 2 1/2" and 7 1/4". So to clarify, I measured the first three back to front, the second two front to rear. Make sense?
Quailguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailguy View Post
So to clarify, I measured the first three back to front, the second two front to rear. Make sense?
You should actually do it from the firewall or the split between the front fender and firewall, it's a straighter line.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Also any tricks on getting the old sliders out of the rocker molding channel? A few of mine seem frozen/rusted in there and won't budge. I don't want to mess up the molding, thanks.
Take a piece of stiff copper wire or a thin strip of sheetmetal and bend a 90 degree end on it about a 1/4" in. You may find another object that will work just as well. With it, clean out the track that the bolts slide in. Then spray out the remaining dust with carb or brake cleaner. Then spray the track and bolts with some penetrating oil. Let them soak a bit. Then take a flat punch and tap on the slide part of the bolt in the direction of the slot. They will break free. The alum. trim corrodes to the steel bolt plate. A little heat to the trim from the backside may help. (I assume your repainting these)
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Take a piece of stiff copper wire or a thin strip of sheetmetal and bend a 90 degree end on it about a 1/4" in. You may find another object that will work just as well. With it, clean out the track that the bolts slide in. Then spray out the remaining dust with carb or brake cleaner. Then spray the track and bolts with some penetrating oil. Let them soak a bit. Then take a flat punch and tap on the slide part of the bolt in the direction of the slot. They will break free. The alum. trim corrodes to the steel bolt plate. A little heat to the trim from the backside may help. (I assume your repainting these)
Cool thanks, I'll give that a try. Actually I want to get them powdercoated chrome.
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Cool thanks, I'll give that a try. Actually I want to get them powdercoated chrome.
The color really isn't a chrome like finish but rather a polished aluminum look that dulls even when sprayed with a clear coat powder. That color powder must be clear coated to prevent it from "graying".

Here's an example of Reflective Chrome powder coat that has not been clear coated but fresh out of the oven.

Looks good when newly applied but will turn a darker shade later.

Are the rocker molding pieces bright aluminum or anodized black? If bright finish, clean them up with some 00 steel wool and then have them powder coated a "ultra clear" coating. It will stay bright for a very long time or indefinitely as long as you don't use any harsh chemicals to clean it with and wax it once in awhile.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

That trans looks sweet. On my search for rockers with no real scratches or dents I found a passenger side in bright alum. and the driver side in anodized black. They say the driver side ones are hard to find in good shape. Im going to either have them powdercoated or painted silver. Should go well with my metallic blue Jeep.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.