Krylon fusion problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Krylon fusion problem

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
about the last thing in the world id prep something with is windex. just saying, that could be an issue.
Just found a new signature quote

chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The only prep I even did for fusion was a wipe down with a mixture of Simple Green and rubbing alcohol. Probably the same ingredients in Windex.
All the plastic trim on my truck I did two years ago still looks as fresh as when I first did it. Fusion seems to hold up well.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

as long as you finish with alcohol,the cleaner used is a moot point. The key is to remove any residue left over from the cleaner. There are spray dye's for vinyl,and paints for plastic. Nylon is a form of plastic, vinyl isn't. Vinyl spray dye dries in moments and is available and your local parts store.I would strip and re-spray it with the correct product. Baking it dry is likely to just cause cracking and flaking, if it looks acceptable after baking by chance.I would not want to either, but it's the way to do it right.If your just doing a trail rig,go for salvaging the fusion. Hope it works out,dude
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I used a vinyl paint by SEM a few yrs ago on my visors and to this day you cannot tell they were painted.
unnamed.jpg  
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

O.k. after approximately an hour in the oven...no luck It appears the heat made the paint worse than it was before. When i touched it to feel for tackiness it left a fingerprint,which it was not doing before. It sems to have sort of melted the paint back to a semi liquid state...grrr. Looks like I will be stripping and re-painting. Thanks for all the input fellas. Any body have a good recomendation for something to strip this with that hopefully wont damage the vinyl?
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordwrench View Post
Nylon is a form of plastic, vinyl isn't.
Not trying to Knock you or anything but according to Wikipedia...vinyl is a form of plastic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I would think something like lacquer thinner would work but test a small area. Look at that SEM product.... It worked great!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using JeepForum
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Okay did I not tell you to leave it alone and work on something else.You are just as bad as my 6 year old.Now go stand in the corner till you learned your lesson.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Now that I had my fun..... What you did is cook the solvents out of the paint that cure the paint.( My wife would have killed me if I did this in our stove.)If you spray more paint on it you may get lucky that the solvent will cure all of it.If you do leave it alone for a week! If you want to strip it the spray can may say in it what to use.

Good luck either way.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I would think something like lacquer thinner would work but test a small area. Look at that SEM product.... It worked great!
I will take a look at that. Thanks for the help and input.
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
Okay did I not tell you to leave it alone and work on something else.You are just as bad as my 6 year old.Now go stand in the corner till you learned your lesson.
LOL. Well I was bored and only tried to bake the one. The other one I will leave alone and see what happens. I do still have another set of visors so if the one cures out i can spray one of the extras and let it cure and all should be well. Thanks for all your help and input.
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #27
al2ride
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1 View Post
Hey guys. I just painted a set of brown sun visors with Krylon fusion satin black to go in my CJ. The problem I have is they have been hanging to dry since yesterday evening and are still very sticky. Its been over 12 hours since i painted them and if i pressed them to the wall they would probably stick for a second or two before falling. They are not tacky as in the paint doesnt smudge when touched they are just sticky like fly paper or something.

I am just wondering if any of you have had this issue. Or if maybe i got a bad can?? My prep was just a simple clean and wipe down with windex. Is it possible the windex chemically reacted with the paint? Thanks for any help or info or a possible solution.
I would guess that your coats were too thick/wet. Best way to spray is an initial light coat, let dry, and then a couple more to cover. Best in a drier and warmer atmosphere.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

Another vote for a reaction from the surface to the paint. It will most likely never fully dry...That fusion stuff is a pita, I use the kyrlon camo in a can, I did a AR15 rifle with it 4-5 years ago, and its still on there to this day.
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1 View Post
Not trying to Knock you or anything but according to Wikipedia...vinyl is a form of plastic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl
I'm not gonna get into the plastic vs whatever arguement, but if you are going to wikipedia for your "facts" you need help.

I can go on that page right now and edit to to say its a form of dog food, just saying.

As for stripping it, Good luck, get reducer and start scrubbing, I dont know many strippers that wont harm plastic. I know paint stripper in a can melts it like its nothing. lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #30
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Im not trying to argue at all. but it wasnt just wikipedia that says vinyl is a form of plastic its every page that shows up from a google search of "what is vinyl" or "what is vinyl made of" If you have some other info that doesnt come up under my search terms feel free to share it. And as a matter of fact I do need help...thats why i started this thread. thanks for your input. At the moment i have the visors still hanging in my closet and they are curing,slowly but surely. They are barely tacky at all now so i figure ill give them a few more days and see what happens.Once they are completely dry I will give them a bit of a torture test.

I figure if I twist and bend and flex them and the paint holds ill leave it at that for now. My jeep is no show stopper any ways so if the paint starts to crack and peel THEN I will take steps to remove it and start again. I really do appreciate yours and all input on this matter and feel free to give a different explanation of what vinyl is derived from. Maybe I have misinterpretted some of the information I found. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.