Krylon fusion problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Krylon fusion problem

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Krylon fusion problem

Hey guys. I just painted a set of brown sun visors with Krylon fusion satin black to go in my CJ. The problem I have is they have been hanging to dry since yesterday evening and are still very sticky. Its been over 12 hours since i painted them and if i pressed them to the wall they would probably stick for a second or two before falling. They are not tacky as in the paint doesnt smudge when touched they are just sticky like fly paper or something.

I am just wondering if any of you have had this issue. Or if maybe i got a bad can?? My prep was just a simple clean and wipe down with windex. Is it possible the windex chemically reacted with the paint? Thanks for any help or info or a possible solution.

chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

high humidity maybe? im no paint pro but that could be it.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Could take a couple days I woundnt sweat it.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

I had same problem trying to paint the black rubber cover over a light that I have mounted to my rear bumper. Days and days and it never dried fully!!
I'd use some thinner or something and remove it and I believe autozone carries a fabric type paint in spray can. Worked great on my dash pad and seat belts.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies guys. definately dont WANT to strip and repaint I was thinking maybe take a couple coat hangers and make a "rack" to hold them up off of the rack in the oven,set my oven to maybe 100 degrees and set them in there with the door open for a while. They should hold up to the heat right? It gets 100 outside in the summer and they dont melt. LOL it probably will smell the house up a bit but I am single at the moment so thats no big deal. I think thats what i will try and will report back with the results since I'm not the only one who has had this problem. maybe it can help somebody else out.Thanks again guys.
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I'd try a hair dryer before I'd stick paint in a good oven. I've used Fusion plenty of time and have never had a problem. It had always been mid summer though. I painted my steering box with Rustolium the other night, and it took two days to dry because of the cold weather, and I still got paint on my hands when I installed it.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I'd try a hair dryer before I'd stick paint in a good oven. I've used Fusion plenty of time and have never had a problem. It had always been mid summer though. I painted my steering box with Rustolium the other night, and it took two days to dry because of the cold weather, and I still got paint on my hands when I installed it.
Did you see the part where i said im single at the moment? Lol no hair dryers here bud I guess I can wait until tomorrow after work and see if they cure by then. Right now they are hanging from a shelf in my laundry room so hopefully they just need some time. I did do some laundry last night and today...maybe the dryer ran the humidity up a notch ot two??
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1 View Post
Did you see the part where i said im single at the moment? Lol no hair dryers here bud
LOL ! You never know about some people these days.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

about the last thing in the world id prep something with is windex. just saying, that could be an issue.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

Fusion is for painting plastic.
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
about the last thing in the world id prep something with is windex. just saying, that could be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordwrench View Post
x2 on both of these points. If it won't cure properly inside your house after two days I'd say something is wrong. I could see that being the case in the garage where it's cooler but your house should be warm enough for it to cure quickly and properly. It's either because of the prep with windex or using the Krylon. Be prepared to strip it off and re-coat it with upholstery paint if you don't see improvement in the next day or so.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
LOL ! You never know about some people these days.
Sadly... This is true...just not in my case
The reason for just the windex wipedown was it says right on the can "For weathered surfaces-Wipe surface down with ammonia based cleaner". not really sure if windex is "ammonia based" but the bottle I have has ammonia in it. The results look great,nice even coat and seems to be sticking so far as none has come off on my fingers.The only problem is it doesnt seem to be curing. But as mentioned earlier that may just be due to the time of year and possibly excess humidity. I decided to go ahead and try one in the oven since i have another I can use if this one goes up in flames
I just cracked the dial on the oven until the preheating light came on and thats as high as I'm going with the temperature. Also I am keeping a very close eye on it(checked it twice just in the time it took me to type this).Hopefully it wont take more than an hour or so to know if this is going to work. I have never baked CJ sun visors before...any body have a good recipe?
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Mine took a week to dry completely.I thought the same thing ;that i would have to redo it. Just leave it alone and work on something else.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordwrench View Post
Yes I realize that but the sun visors are a Vinyl type material not cloth. So I was assuming they were a plastic based material. Am I wrong on that?

Quote:
Mine took a week to dry completely.I thought the same thing ;that i would have to redo it. Just leave it alone and work on something else.
A week? wow. Well at least this is not unheard of...now to find something else to work on...shouldn"t be to hard to do on a CJ right?
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

lol I woulda just put them infront of a space heater

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.