Know what plugs into this? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Know what plugs into this?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #31
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The reason some of you are thinking the original posters picture of the plug was for the clock, is because there is a similar plug that plugs into the rear of the clock. The wires are coming out from the fuse box main loom and are too short to reach the clock. Instead there is a short harness that powers the clock and another harness that powers the lights for both the tact and clock. Both harness plug into keyed slots in the fuse box (not a hanging wired plug). Both are grounded with a ground ring under the dash. See picture below.

Now back to the plug at hand. In I think 76 or 77 the under dash lights became available. The light switch turned and clicked counterclockwise turned them on. There were hardtops at this time, but not with hardtop rear lights. These are the older thick style tops from 76 to 80. 80 to 86 had the lighter tops with the rear dome light. The 80 to 86 dash harnesses used at his time also had the plug at the fuse box for the hardtop dome light. The rear light harness that runs under the drivers door plugs into the flat plug by the fuse box and now had another set of wires for the rear light in this loom. It has its own plug with a constant orange hot and a switched black. It is activated along with the two dash corner lights as well when the light switch is turned....same switch, 76 to 80 just dash lights, 80 to 86 dash and rear light came on. Here's the two plugs coming out of the rear light loom

For the whole door pin switch deal, only the Limited models came with them as seen above the door strap

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #32
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

And as mentioned, only works with the hard doors.

Thanks for researching this out. only_in_a_Jeep_CJ

All CJ light switches from 76 had a ground point to turn on interior lights.
But they were wired differently from what I could see.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #33
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Only,

Thanks for the explanation.

I just wish I could find the other end of this damn dome light plug-in. Is it possible that my '81 has the older style harness without it?

Good grief, I can make the simplest electrical chore seem like building a space shuttle.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #34
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So wich plug do you have? The one running to the rear?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
So wich plug do you have? The one running to the rear?
Yes. It runs under the drivers door and to the rear of the tub. It has plugins on both ends.

Obviously the rear plugs to the hardtop. Where the other end plugs to under the dash isn't so obvious.

Matt
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #36
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Either your not seeing it or some PO has cut it away.

Back at the rear corner on the drivers side is the connection for the dome light.

And if you follow that same wire loom back up to the front where it ends, you should have the two plugs. One for the taillights and one for the dome light.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks Keith,

That's exactly how I assumed it should be, but I can't seem to find the female portion of the dome light plug under the dash.

Part of my problem is my aging 6'-4" body won't contort in a position to adequately look for it. I'll pull a mirror out and see if I can spot it.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Matt
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

Matt1981CJ7 - do you have the pigtail that runs from the fuse box to the back of the jeep or no? If you are missing it I know I removed it from mine and I am 90% sure it is sitting in my garage. If you need it its yours.
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #39
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Works good for hard doors, but soft or no doors with a bikini top.....

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
ok... well this is really tough, but if you reach in behind and on the side of your light switch, find the little button, push it and pull the light switch knob out.. remove the nut, let it dangle where you can just unplug it from the harness.. note if there is an empty lug on it.. now check with a meter or drawing to see if when you turn your light knob all the way right or left, if it clicks into position and puts out a ground.. simple.. if not, replace your switch with one that does... simple..
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiam View Post
Matt1981CJ7 - do you have the pigtail that runs from the fuse box to the back of the jeep or no? If you are missing it I know I removed it from mine and I am 90% sure it is sitting in my garage. If you need it its yours.
Yes, as I stated, I do have the dome light pigtail. I just can't find where it plugs to under the dash.

Thanks for the kind offer, though, I'll get it figured out, eventually.

Matt
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #41
jakwi
1986 CJ7 

speaking of missing plugs, does anyone know if an adapter for a 4 pin yj hard top to the two spade hardtop style connector on the CJ is available? I rigged up two wires, but it would be nice if I had a clean adapter plug.
jakwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #42
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakwi View Post
speaking of missing plugs, does anyone know if an adapter for a 4 pin yj hard top to the two spade hardtop style connector on the CJ is available? I rigged up two wires, but it would be nice if I had a clean adapter plug.
It would probably be easier to cut and solder the CJ and YJ plugs to trailer harness style plugs. I am sure the the YJ plug is probably just 2 positive and 2 negative wires, so it should not be hard to do.
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

if your pigtail is blk and orange, plug it in at the back drivers corner to the plug going up to your dome light.. then put 12volts on the orange up under the dash, and touch the black lead to ground .. when you ground the blk, the dome light will come on.. that's the purpose of the door plunger switches, or the light switch with dome light position..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.