Know what plugs into this? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Know what plugs into this?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That orange and black wire plug into another pigtail plug in the same wire loom that goes back to the taillights. It should be right next to or around the parking brake pedal assembly and not the headlight switch. It is in fact for the dome light on the Hardtop equipped Jeeps.

Keith,

I've only found the male half of the connection that you are showing. It leads to to back of the tub.

I can't find the female side that it connects to. it's a stock unaltered 1981 wiring harness.

I hate electrical crap.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

you can get a light switch with a dome light spade connector on it, or install a separate Dome Light Switch..
dome-light-switch.jpg  
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
you can get a light switch with a dome light spade connector on it, or install a separate Dome Light Switch..
Are you saying I may not have the proper light switch, since my CJ didn't originally have a hardtop?

Matt
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Are you saying I may not have the proper light switch, since my CJ didn't originally have a hardtop?

Matt
I would imagine not many CJ's came with that style light switch, mostly Cherokee's, wagoneers, etc.. trucks.. most of the utility vehicles (CJ, YJ, etc) came with door pins.. and they work fine, except when you just want to turn on the inside lites without opening your door (if you have one).. you could probably get a Cherokee switch and adapt it easily.. basically lights, courtesy (gauges and so forth), and dome (interior).. same outputs except their switch has that ground switch contact in the click position when you turn the knob all the way.. as far as why its located where it is, rather than up near the lamp switch, its female counter part goes to the door pins.. but to put it to a different light switch, we're only talking inches..
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

My 1983 CJ7 with factory hardtop/doors, inside under dash and hardtop courtesy lights work off the dash headlight switch, no door pins.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I would imagine not many CJ's came with that style light switch, mostly Cherokee's, wagoneers, etc.. trucks.. most of the utility vehicles (CJ, YJ, etc) came with door pins.. and they work fine, except when you just want to turn on the inside lites without opening your door (if you have one).. you could probably get a Cherokee switch and adapt it easily.. basically lights, courtesy (gauges and so forth), and dome (interior).. same outputs except their switch has that ground switch contact in the click position when you turn the knob all the way.. as far as why its located where it is, rather than up near the lamp switch, its female counter part goes to the door pins.. but to put it to a different light switch, we're only talking inches..
I have the under-dash lights, with dimmer, which I believe was part of the optional "convenience package".

My wiring harness has the dome light connection wired to the back of the tub, with plugs on each end, but it's not connected to anything under the dash.

Ugh...

Matt
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #22
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7

Matt
I don't that would be the case. My '78 with a hard top doesn't have a dome light. It does have the under dash lights. I'm thinking its the same switch, and has the 2 added wires somewhere. If there not present you could tap into the under dash light wiring. Remember, the under dash lights have a constant 12 volts postive, the ground gets activated by the switch.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bill,

I'm at a loss. My wiring harness has all the necessary connections for the dome light, but nothing to connect to.

Matt
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Bill,

I'm at a loss. My wiring harness has all the necessary connections for the dome light, but nothing to connect to.

Matt
from reading the above posts, you could just pick up one of their type light switch, wire to it.. or.... you can put in door pins, actually, make that and/or.. did you get the FSM?
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I have a strong feeling the switch is the same one. The dome and under dash lights work off the same switch. The dome light doesn't come on any other way. Matt has the under dash. I have a feeling the harness plugs In With the existing lights, I check tomorrow. If there's a seperate harness I take it out, and you can have it. I sold the Jeep, sans plow and hard top.
This one.

image-996716586.jpg

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks Bill,

iI's not a big deal, but I would like to get the dome light working. It's one of the last things on my list...

Matt.
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Matt, my dome light comes on when I open my door, left or right, and I put a mercury switch on the back hatch to turn them on also.. haven't looked into the light switch contact to see if my switch has the connection.. easy enough to check, in fact, I just replaced it, so I have the old one on the bench.. I'll see if there is a ground contact turning it all the way in one or the other direction..
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Matt, my dome light comes on when I open my door, left or right, and I put a mercury switch on the back hatch to turn them on also.. haven't looked into the light switch contact to see if my switch has the connection.. easy enough to check, in fact, I just replaced it, so I have the old one on the bench.. I'll see if there is a ground contact turning it all the way in one or the other direction..
There is no door contact switch on my CJ.

But, thanks.

Matt
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
There is no door contact switch on my CJ.

But, thanks.

Matt
go down to your local pic-a-part, take your small crescent and a screwdriver, some are held on with a nut, some have a screw, take a couple.. they'll probably charge you 50cents each if anything.. drill, install, hook the wire up that you have hanging there, you can test it by touching it to ground.. one will have 12volts through the light bulbs.. the other is looking for a ground.. look at the drawing, the black lead is the one I used..
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #30
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa

go down to your local pic-a-part, take your small crescent and a screwdriver, some are held on with a nut, some have a screw, take a couple.. they'll probably charge you 50cents each if anything.. drill, install, hook the wire up that you have hanging there, you can test it by touching it to ground.. one will have 12volts through the light bulbs.. the other is looking for a ground.. look at the drawing, the black lead is the one I used..
Works good for hard doors, but soft or no doors with a bikini top.....

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.