kind of grease for grease points on cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > kind of grease for grease points on cj5

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
cj5jonezy
1979 CJ5 

kind of grease for grease points on cj5

I found a page on here already where most of the zerks are, but what kind of grease should I use?

cj5jonezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I use Mobil 1, but frankly I believe most Jeeps would be happy just to get lubrication. Any good chassis grease should work, but the trick is to do it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5jonezy View Post
I found a page on here already where most of the zerks are, but what kind of grease should I use?
The best grease you can find.
Personally, for general lubrication I use the high quality red wheel bearing grease. Red means you can see when it's full, and when it needs more.

Parts are EXPENSIVE,
Even the best grease is cheap no more of it than you use.
Which one would you rather pay for?
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

While any grease is better than none, I personally always try to apply what is referenced in the shop or owners manual. Grease has many different properties, for instance you would not want to used wheel bearing grease in a pressure fitting. This is because one property requires protection against shear forces and the other is more heat protection. Just a few examples I wanted to point out and the importance of using the correct grease for your application.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Every application is different, pressure or compression, rolling, sliding and how much heat is involved in the operation. The advice given above by Tollster and JeepHammer above is about as good as it can get.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

I've been using Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 for a couple of years. It's red... and tacky. Cheap too.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
CSP

I would hazard a guess that any grease made today probably exceeds any of the specs set by the factory since the last CJ left the factory.
I like the same red stuff that JH mentioned. I use the same stuff on my vehicles, farm equipment, ATVs, etc.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

I always try to purchase my oil products from a source that can access them directly from the ground, such as Mobil and a few others. they tend to sell the lesser grades to after market companies first and use the higher grades for their own products.

I have an assortment of grease for various use, moly on my back hoe, EP, and a low temp grease. I also have found a can of liquid graphite that seems to work as a slide when all else fails. It works real well on the leaf springs and tends to be drawn between them due to a low surface tension when wet.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

A good qualty wheel bearing grease is both high pressure, and high temp, and a good grease will also be water resistant on top of everything else.
Lubrication properties vary usually to application,
But I don't want 15 grease guns laying around and trying to figure out which has what...

The same high temp., high pressure water resistant grease I use for wheel bearings works just fine for lubricating ball studs, tie rod ends and suspension bushings to keep them from squeaking.
Cost increase is worth it to only have ONE grease gun to keep track of... And what's in it...

I don't need the 'Lower' quality greases, the good stuff works about everywhere with the exception of electrical connectors and steering boxes.
Electrical connections MUST have a dielectric grease to keep from connecting circuits via additives in the grease,
And steering boxes need a 'White Lithium' grease, which is actually a lithium based soap they don't make anymore since lithium is reactive with the human nervous system.

There is still 'White' grease available, there are some greases that say 'Lithium' on the label, but don't contain the lithium they used to...
And probably a good thing,
We used to have PCB's in oil, Lead in fuel, Asbestos in brake & clutch linings, Lithium in grease, Dioxin in plastics, ect.,
No wonder I'm a wreck after 40+ years of doing this stuff!
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
A good qualty wheel bearing grease is both high pressure, and high temp, and a good grease will also be water resistant on top of everything else.
Lubrication properties vary usually to application,
But I don't want 15 grease guns laying around and trying to figure out which has what...

The same high temp., high pressure water resistant grease I use for wheel bearings works just fine for lubricating ball studs, tie rod ends and suspension bushings to keep them from squeaking.
Cost increase is worth it to only have ONE grease gun to keep track of... And what's in it...

I don't need the 'Lower' quality greases, the good stuff works about everywhere with the exception of electrical connectors and steering boxes.
Electrical connections MUST have a dielectric grease to keep from connecting circuits via additives in the grease,
And steering boxes need a 'White Lithium' grease, which is actually a lithium based soap they don't make anymore since lithium is reactive with the human nervous system.

There is still 'White' grease available, there are some greases that say 'Lithium' on the label, but don't contain the lithium they used to...
And probably a good thing,
We used to have PCB's in oil, Lead in fuel, Asbestos in brake & clutch linings, Lithium in grease, Dioxin in plastics, ect.,
No wonder I'm a wreck after 40+ years of doing this stuff!
What brand is this high quality grease you speak of? I'm actually quite surprised that Walmart's "Super Tech" grease is red and appears to be somewhat good quality. Even has that nice grease smell to it, and is red. Looks to be the same stuff as Tractor Supply's "Traveller" brand. I used to like Shell Rotella grease but can't find it anywhere anymore.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

I have always been a fan of Valvoline's multipurpose Ford, Lincoln, Mercury grease.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
cj5jonezy
1979 CJ5 

I went with the lucas red and tacky 2. seems legit. like jeep hammer said I could see it when it was full. good thing I hit the zerks too. because when I filled em up no "old grease" came out so they were bone dry. can already tell a difference in sound and ease of movement when turning etc.
cj5jonezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.