killing rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > killing rust?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
b-dog
1985 CJ7 

killing rust?

i have been repairing the rusted out spots on my 85 cj7. basicly at all rollbar bolt points and floor pan. a lot of what i am doing is cutting out what the po tacked over the rusty spots. there is also some surface rust and slight pitting in some spots in the tub. should i wirewheel, clean well and prime? also i see advertised rusty metal primer. is this better?

b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

IMO: None of that rust converter stuff works.

The only way to get rid of rust is to cut and weld in new metal and pray that it doesn't eventually come back from the other side where you can't protect the newly welded panel.....
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Well, I wouldn't disagree with Stan the Paint Man, he's got way more experience than I do.

But, I'm currently restoring my tub and I've been using a product called Rust Mort. It's phosphoric acid based and chemically reacts with the rust, turning into a black ferric phosphate, which then can be painted over. I've used it thru-out my tub. It's a clear liquid that you just paint over the rust and let dry.

Almost instantly, it turns the rusted area black. Then, as it dries, it turns a more grayish sheet metal color. Here's a shot of one of my floor pans right after applying the Rust Mort directly over the surface rust. The second pic is after it dried and a light coat of metal glaze was applied.

I can't say how long it will last, but it sure seems to work as advertised, so far.

Matt
rustmort.jpg   paintprep12.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
pacmanCJ5
1978 CJ5 

I agree 100%, my buddies nicknamed my CJ "Rusty Thunder". Needless to say i have tried alot of that crap and the only way to cure it is with sheet metal and a MIG with some .023 wire in it. make sure to primer all the spots you cover up as well. Mine is looking more like "Patch" now but my floors are solid!
pacmanCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
pacmanCJ5
1978 CJ5 

Agree with Stan the Paint Man that is!
pacmanCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.