Kill switch ideas? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Kill switch ideas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #16
WSS
1972 CJ5 

"If" I was into stealing pre 90's cars, I would carry a short length of 12-14ga wire with alligator clips on each end (roach clips if you don't know what alligators are) and a screwdriver (and a long sleeve shirt, it's better to get right on it after the victim leaves the vehicle, stuff is hot). Lay under the vehicle and attach the wire from the batt to the distributor and short the lugs on the starter solenoid with the screwdriver to turn it over. You don't need to be in the cab to find any buttons or be seen by anybody, No one notices someone getting in a running vehicle. JMHO

Kill the power to the starter. Park it were it cannot be pushed easily, pushing a vehicle gets you noticed.

Try a master switch in a Tuffy console and cut the power to just the starter,it is hard to figure out why everything else works but the starter. Again, just my opinion.

Tuffy consoles take more effort than it's worth to get into.

edit: route your batt cables away from each other to avoid the shield/loom being cut and the cables squeezed together to make a circuit.

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaviking View Post
How about putting an airbag in the seatcushion, then wire it up in a way that will make it blow if somebody tries to start the vehicle
Thats exactly what I need for my passenger eject switch to work! Great idea!
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
I don't even know where to begin on that idea.
I am about to do it to my TJ. I will be doing a full write up. All you need to do is take 2 of the wires coming from the switch (check to see what ones or cut off by the switch) and wire those into the fuel pump, or what ever circut would keep your Jeep from starting. Once I do my write up I will post a link here for you if you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
"If" I was into stealing pre 90's cars, I would carry a short length of 12-14ga wire with alligator clips on each end (roach clips if you don't know what alligators are) and a screwdriver (and a long sleeve shirt, it's better to get right on it after the victim leaves the vehicle, stuff is hot). Lay under the vehicle and attach the wire from the batt to the distributor and short the lugs on the starter solenoid with the screwdriver to turn it over. You don't need to be in the cab to find any buttons or be seen by anybody, No one notices someone getting in a running vehicle. JMHO

Kill the power to the starter. Park it were it cannot be pushed easily, pushing a vehicle gets you noticed.

Try a master switch in a Tuffy console and cut the power to just the starter,it is hard to figure out why everything else works but the starter. Again, just my opinion.

edit: route your batt cables away from each other to avoid the shield/loom being cut and the cables squeezed together to make a circuit.
That is very sweet looking, only issue is a starter that has no power can be by-passed with a screw driver across the 2 leads. I had to do this on my sunfire when the ignition switch went out. As long as you don't act suspicious most people will not question you. I have actually pulled up to a buddies car, got out of my truck, used a slim jim to open the door, got in and fumbled around under the dash (doing nothing as I had the keys), started the car and drove off. Not a word was said with people all around. One guy even asked if I needed help while I was under the dash. I did it to prove to him I could do it. I get that all this stuff only slows them down and if they really want it then they will get it.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
only issue is a starter that has no power can be by-passed with a screw driver across the 2 leads.
Which two leads would you put the screwdriver across?
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Which two leads would you put the screwdriver across?
The power wire from the battery to the solenoid post. Get on YouTube and type how to bypass a starter with a screwdriver.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

you would be greasy and pissed

Quote:

after all that only to have a cranking engine while you are laying under the jeep. "inhibit mag p/u circuit" means no spark, zip, nada. you go no where! i do like the precision and pro install of whet you have done though. very clean, but i think most low life thieves are going to go straight for the console. bottom line be aware and keep the jeep on a short tether. i have never had a vehicle stolen from me but it would be a hard reality to deal with.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
Mace350
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22 View Post
after all that only to have a cranking engine while you are laying under the jeep. "inhibit mag p/u circuit" means no spark, zip, nada. you go no where! i do like the precision and pro install of whet you have done though. very clean, but i think most low life thieves are going to go straight for the console. bottom line be aware and keep the jeep on a short tether. i have never had a vehicle stolen from me but it would be a hard reality to deal with.
Doesn't the alligator clip power the distributor thus creating spark and a running engine? Kill switches on ignition really do not work for anyone that knows what they are doing...
If you are worried just buy an inline fuel cutoff and run that to a hidden switch.
Mace350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
The power wire from the battery to the solenoid post. Get on YouTube and type how to bypass a starter with a screwdriver.
You would have to get inside my locked Tuffy to do it. My cables are routed away from each other so splicing would be tough. The switch inside the Tuffy is a 200amp SPST type that cuts the power going to the starter, the big power, not the relayed solenoid.

I suppose you could bring along a 2' battery cable, even 4ga would work but thieves tend to carry straight forward stuff and move on to the next guy if it is outside the norm.

Mace350, Yes, the short wire with clips bypasses the the need to supply anything from the cab. The thief does need to make sure they do not open circuit when driving though . That is a big reason why a lot of cars look like they were taken for a joyride, the clips fall off and the car dies and he coasts to the curb, now it's best to walk away and leave it.
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #24
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22 View Post
Greasy was part of the job! In the late 80s, I was employed to "collect" heavy equipment that was in arrears LOL. Being a kid, the lowbed driver would pick me up usually about 2am and he would P/U between 2:30 and 3:30am. I would get the equipment started and on the lowbed as fast as possible. During the day, I was a mechanic for the owner who sold this equipment, he had a soft heart, I can't remember how many times the equipment would be picked up again the same morning, only for the owner to not get paid again and a month later I would jump the same piece of equipment. Diesels usually only needed a screwdriver if I could not find the master switch in about 15 seconds. Gassers could be troublesome, I carried more stuff than a thief would carry but found a screwdriver (I still have it, it is burned and etched beyond recognition) and a piece of wire with clips on the end would suffice. I did use bolt cutters a few times due to the the cab being padlocked.

Getting inside a locked tuffy console would require a tool longer than a thief generally carries. You have to break (not cut) a 3/8" rod to open it. Even knocking the keyed button out does not gain you access. I would say a 2' minimum bar, screwdriver, chisel is what would be needed and at least 60 seconds. If the vehicle is isolated, then you can make all the noise you need, but in a parking lot or motel, I think the noise would make it prohibitive.

Unread 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Tweeter00801
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Greasy was part of the job! In the late 80s, I was employed to "collect" heavy equipment that was in arrears LOL.

Two points for the word arrears!
Tweeter00801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
robs7
1983 CJ7 

I went a little different route. I have an electric full pump and it is turned on and off by a toggle switch on my dash that is powered from the key on circuit. There are three other accessory switches with it for fog lights etc. making it inconspicuous. IF, someone was able to short the starter and take off they wouldn't make it very far without the fuel pump. I also like the idea of being able to kill my fuel pump quickly should something ever happen. Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.